How does the density of states change with temperature?

In summary, the conversation covers the topics of plotting Fermi energy as a function of N, deriving the density of states, estimating the number of atoms and diameter of a cloud at a specific Fermi energy, and discussing the difference in cloud size for atoms without spin. The conversation also touches on the concept of neglecting discreteness of energy levels and the importance of advanced cooling techniques for a degenerate Fermi gas of atoms. There is also a question about the degeneracy factor and its role in the density of states.
unscientific

Homework Statement

20fwcc7.png

Part (a): Plot fermi energy as a function of N
Part (b): Derive the density of states and find its value
Part (c): How many atoms reside at 20% of fermi energy? Estimate diameter of cloud
Part (d): For the same atoms without spin, why is the cloud much smaller? Estimate the transition temperature.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a)

The Fermi Energy is the highest energy level occupied by the atoms at T = 0.

We know that ##\epsilon_f \propto \left( \frac{N}{V}\right)^{\frac{2}{3}}## so the graph looks like:
29c1ma8.png

Part (b)

I'm not sure why there is a factor of ##\omega^3##, as the density of states seem to be independent:

[tex]g_{(k)} dk = (2S+1) \frac{1}{8} \times \frac{4\pi k^2 dk}{(\frac{\pi}{L})^3}[/tex]
[tex]g_{(k)} dk = \frac{V}{\pi^2} k^2 dk[/tex]

Using the substitution ##E = \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m}## still doesn't produce any ##\omega## What does it mean when they say ##\epsilon >> \hbar \omega##?

Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:
Using the substitution ##E = \frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m}## still doesn't produce any ##\omega##
That equation for the energy is valid for a free particle, not for one confined to a harmonic oscillator.

unscientific said:
What does it mean when they say ##\epsilon >> \hbar \omega##?
It means you can neglect the discreteness of the energy levels and consider them to be continuously distributed.

DrClaude said:
That equation for the energy is valid for a free particle, not for one confined to a harmonic oscillator.It means you can neglect the discreteness of the energy levels and consider them to be continuously distributed.

Part (b)
For one confined to a harmonic oscillator, ##E = (n+\frac{1}{2})\hbar \omega##. I've been thinking what the density of states would look like in n-space. Since ##\epsilon>>\hbar \omega##, I can simply take ##\epsilon \approx n\hbar \omega##.

Would it be something like:
[tex]g_{(n)} dn = (2S+1) \frac{1}{8} \frac{4 \pi n^2 dn}{1}[/tex]
[tex]g_{(\epsilon)} d\epsilon= \frac{\pi}{\hbar^3} \frac{\epsilon^2}{\omega^3} d\epsilon[/tex]

Therefore ##\alpha = \frac{\pi}{\hbar^3}##.

At T = 0 K, the occupation number up till fermi energy is 1. After fermi energy, it is 0. It is a heavyside function.

[tex]N = \sum n_{(\epsilon)} = \int g_{(\epsilon)} d\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]N = \int_0^{\epsilon_F}\frac{\pi}{\hbar^3} \frac{\epsilon^2}{\omega^3} d\epsilon[/tex]
[tex]\epsilon_F = \hbar \omega\left(\frac{3N}{\pi}\right)^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

For ##N = 10^6## and ##\omega = 2\pi \times 10^5##,
[tex]\epsilon_F = 6.52 \times 10^{-27} J = 41 \space neV[/tex]

Checking online, the fermi energy of Lithium is 4.7 eV. I'm off by 10 orders of magnitude..

Last edited:
unscientific said:
For ##N = 10^6## and ##\omega = 2\pi \times 10^5##,
[tex]\epsilon_F = 6.52 \times 10^{-27} J = 41 \space neV[/tex]

Checking online, the fermi energy of Lithium is 4.7 eV. I'm off by 10 orders of magnitude..

I guess you stumbled upon the Fermi energy for electrons in solid lithium. For a degenerate Fermi gas of atoms, that's indeed the order of magnitude. The corresponding Fermi temperature is ##T_\mathrm{F} \approx 0.5\ \mathrm{mK}##, which is why advanced cooling techniques are required!

DrClaude said:
I guess you stumbled upon the Fermi energy for electrons in solid lithium. For a degenerate Fermi gas of atoms, that's indeed the order of magnitude. The corresponding Fermi temperature is ##T_\mathrm{F} \approx 0.5\ \mathrm{mK}##, which is why advanced cooling techniques are required!

Thanks alot, that does make sense. Where does the degeneracy of ##\frac{(n+1)(n+2)}{2}## come into play here? Should it go into the density of states or the partition function?

Any input on whether my density of states is right?

[Edit]I'm concerned about the missing degeneracy given in the question of ##\frac{(n+1)(n+2)}{2}##

Last edited:

Related to How does the density of states change with temperature?

1. What is the Fermi gas density of states?

The Fermi gas density of states is a mathematical representation of the number of energy states available to particles in a Fermi gas at a given temperature. It describes the probability of finding a particle with a specific energy in a system of non-interacting particles.

2. How is the Fermi gas density of states calculated?

The Fermi gas density of states can be calculated using the formula D(E) = (1/2π^2)(2m)^3/2(E)^(1/2), where D(E) is the density of states, m is the mass of the particle, and E is the energy.

3. What is the significance of the Fermi gas density of states?

The Fermi gas density of states is important in understanding the behavior of fermionic particles, such as electrons, in a system. It helps us understand the distribution of energy levels and the population of particles at different energy levels.

4. How does temperature affect the Fermi gas density of states?

The Fermi gas density of states is directly proportional to temperature. As the temperature increases, the density of states also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, more energy levels become available for particles to occupy.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Fermi gas density of states?

Yes, the Fermi gas density of states is used in various fields of physics, such as solid-state physics and nuclear physics, to understand the behavior of fermionic particles. It is also used in the development of technologies such as semiconductors and superconductors.