Register to reply

Question regarding empirical formula and molecular formula(finding 2 variables)A Lvel

Share this thread:
mutineer123
Mar5-12, 07:56 PM
P: 93
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://www.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Inte..._s11_qp_12.pdf

question 10

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
The way I am doing it, is to get two equations in terms of x and y and then equate them. For the first equation I used the fact that all of the element's individual atomic masses will add up to 571.5. So i got 27x + 28.1y = 172
My problem now is how to get the second equation? I think it has something to do with the empirical formula, but I can't figure it out. Help!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
sjb-2812
Mar6-12, 07:20 AM
P: 427
If you remove the Al and Si from the formula, what is the charge on the resulting ion?
Borek
Mar6-12, 07:34 AM
Admin
P: 23,595
What is 14.04% of 571.5?

mutineer123
Mar6-12, 10:43 PM
P: 93
Question regarding empirical formula and molecular formula(finding 2 variables)A Lvel

Quote Quote by Borek View Post
What is 14.04% of 571.5?
I think I got it, thanks to you. So for x we find 14.17% of 571.5. That answer we divide by 27, (because we know that the mole of aluminium is 1), and the x i got is 2.999(pretty close to one of the options). Same for y. Thanks!

Register to reply