Bulk Connections of MOSFET as Rectifier

In summary, the bulk of MOSes in a circuit should be connected to the appropriate potential (lower for NMOS and higher for PMOS) and the source and drain can be interchangeable depending on which is at a higher potential. In a differential system, the bulk of NMOS should be connected to -VDD. In the layout and fabrication of an IC, all NMOS bulk should be connected to a universal chip ground, while all PMOS bulk should be connected to a universal chip VDD.
shaikss
HI,

I am very confused how to connect my bulk of MOSes in my circuitary.
NMOS bulk should be connected to lower potential and PMOS bulk should be connected to higher potential of the system.
Moreover, Source and Drain are interchangeable and so whichever is at higher potential acts as drain. Guess I am correct at this statement.

Now my question is: I have designed my rectifier circuit in which I have used cross coupled architecture of PMOS and NMOS.

I have simulated and plotted the voltages of Drain, Source of NMOSes in order to finalise the bulk of NMOS.

Attached is the simulated result and schematic.

If at all, If I have used ground connection in my entire circuit, Can I connect the bulk of NMOS to grnd as gnd is at lower potential?

Please help me as I am in confused state.

Note: First and second attachement have three plots in each.
first plot is net connecting to +ve of V0
second plot is net connecting both drains of NMOS in accordance to symbol of NMOS.
Third plot is net connecting to -ve of V0.

In the schematic, for the first attachment of plots, I have grounded the bulks of NMOS and for the second attachment of plots, I have connected bulks to sources of NMOS in accordance to symbol of NMOS.

Please correct me.

Thanks!

Attachments

• NMOS_bulk_gned.png
    NMOS_bulk_gned.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 603
  • NMOS_bulk_connected_to_src_symbol.png
    NMOS_bulk_connected_to_src_symbol.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 597
  • Screenshot-1.png
    Screenshot-1.png
    24 KB · Views: 696
Engineering news on Phys.org
I am very confused how to connect my bulk of MOSes in my circuitary.
NMOS bulk should be connected to lower potential and PMOS bulk should be connected to higher potential of the system.
Moreover, Source and Drain are interchangeable and so whichever is at higher potential acts as drain. Guess I am correct at this statement.

Yeah you're correct.

Now my question is: I have designed my rectifier circuit in which I have used cross coupled architecture of PMOS and NMOS.

I have simulated and plotted the voltages of Drain, Source of NMOSes in order to finalise the bulk of NMOS.

Attached is the simulated result and schematic.

If at all, If I have used ground connection in my entire circuit, Can I connect the bulk of NMOS to grnd as gnd is at lower potential?

You cannot connect bulk of MOS as you have done.
In layout and in fabrication of IC, all nmos bulk will be connected to one universal chip ground. and all pmos bulk will be connected to one universal chip VDD.

However, if your system is differential (which I guess applies for current circuit) the bulk of NMOS is connected to universal -VDD.

1. What is a MOSFET?

A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of transistor used in electronic devices to control the flow of electrical current. It consists of three terminals - the source, gate, and drain - and can be turned on and off by applying a voltage to the gate terminal.

2. How does a MOSFET work as a rectifier?

A MOSFET can work as a rectifier by utilizing its ability to control the flow of current. When used in a bulk connection, the MOSFET acts as a diode, allowing current to flow in only one direction. By controlling the gate voltage, the MOSFET can be turned on and off, creating a rectifier circuit that converts AC current to DC current.

3. Is using a MOSFET as a rectifier more efficient than using a traditional diode?

Yes, using a MOSFET as a rectifier can be more efficient as it has a lower forward voltage drop compared to a traditional diode. This means less power is lost in the conversion process, resulting in higher efficiency.

4. What are the benefits of using a MOSFET as a rectifier?

Using a MOSFET as a rectifier has several benefits, including higher efficiency, faster switching speed, and the ability to handle higher currents. Additionally, MOSFETs are smaller in size compared to diodes, making them more suitable for compact electronic devices.

5. Are there any limitations to using a MOSFET as a rectifier?

One limitation of using a MOSFET as a rectifier is that it requires a gate voltage to turn on and off, which can add complexity to the circuit design. Additionally, MOSFETs have a higher cost compared to diodes, which may not be suitable for cost-sensitive applications.