Bizarre Behavior in Discrete PMOS

In summary, the PMOS transistor operation is based on the mobility of Holes in the Source-Drain channel. However, the PMOS curve seems to be delayed by a few volts.
Apogee
Some of my colleagues and I captured the i_D vs V_ds/V_sd curves for the CD4007 MOSFET IC (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/cd4007ub.pdf). We did this for the NMOS and PMOS transistors. I have attached the curves to this post. The NMOS curve is as expected. However, the PMOS curve seems to be delayed by a few volts. Does anyone happen to know why the PMOS curve would have such a delay?

NMOS curve: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Roman-Parise/Circuits-Lab/master/Spring2017/Lab2/data/nmos.png

PMOS curve: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Roman-Parise/Circuits-Lab/master/Spring2017/Lab2/data/pmos.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
The NMOS transistor operation is based on the mobility of Electrons in the Source-Drain channel.
The PMOS transistor operation is based on the mobility of Holes in the Source-Drain channel.

The mobility of Electrons is much higher than that of Holes. That translates to higher conductivity as shown in the differing slopes of the graphs you supplied.
If you want to get into the details, look at the formulae on pg 202, and the graph on pg 203 (PDF pgs 8, 9) in:
https://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~hu/Chenming-Hu_ch6.pdf

Hope it helps.
Tom

Likes CWatters
+1

As I recall in CMOS circuits to achieve symmetry the PMOS FET has to be twice the size of the NMOS.

I understand these concepts, but I'm more concerned with the fact that the Id vs Vsd curve remains zero until a certain point. For Id vs Vsg, this makes sense, since there's a threshold voltage. But this doesn't make sense to me for Id vs Vsd.

For PMOS you show I(mA) against Vsd.
For the NMOS you show Vr(mv) vagainst Vds.
How can we compare different plots?

It may be that since devices are operated with their P and N gates tied, there needs to be sufficient Vgs to prevent heavy conduction by both P and N at the same time.

Baluncore said:
For PMOS you show I(mA) against Vsd.
For the NMOS you show Vr(mv) vagainst Vds.
How can we compare different plots?

It may be that since devices are operated with their P and N gates tied, there needs to be sufficient Vgs to prevent heavy conduction by both P and N at the same time.

I apologize for the confusion. A small resistor was placed in series with drain (about 100 οhms) when measuring the NMOSs drain current. Vr is the voltage drop over that resistor. So id is essentially proportional to that curve.

Apogee said:
A small resistor was placed in series with drain (about 100 οhms) when measuring the NMOSs drain current. Vr is the voltage drop over that resistor. So id is essentially proportional to that curve.

Might not be related to your question but that means the current range for the NMOS FET was roughly 0 to 0.9mA and for the PMOS it was 0 to 350mA?

Apogee said:
I'm more concerned with the fact that the Id vs Vsd curve remains zero until a certain point.

Almost as if there is a diode in the path somewhere.

1. What is "bizarre behavior" in discrete PMOS and why does it occur?

"Bizarre behavior" in discrete PMOS refers to unexpected and abnormal functioning of the PMOS (p-channel metal-oxide-semiconductor) transistor. This can occur due to various factors such as manufacturing defects, improper circuit design, or environmental factors like temperature and voltage fluctuations.

2. Can "bizarre behavior" in discrete PMOS be predicted or prevented?

While it is difficult to predict "bizarre behavior" in discrete PMOS, it can be prevented by following proper design and fabrication guidelines, performing thorough testing and quality control, and considering environmental factors during circuit design.

3. How does "bizarre behavior" in discrete PMOS affect circuit performance?

The impact of "bizarre behavior" in discrete PMOS on circuit performance can vary depending on the specific behavior and its severity. It can result in unexpected changes in voltage levels, delays in signal propagation, or even complete circuit failure.

4. Can "bizarre behavior" in discrete PMOS be fixed or corrected?

In some cases, "bizarre behavior" in discrete PMOS can be fixed by adjusting circuit parameters or replacing faulty components. However, in many cases, it may require redesigning the circuit or using more reliable components to ensure proper functionality.

5. Are there any specific techniques or tools for troubleshooting "bizarre behavior" in discrete PMOS?

Yes, there are various techniques and tools available for troubleshooting "bizarre behavior" in discrete PMOS, such as simulation software, signal analysis tools, and thermal imaging. It is important to thoroughly analyze and test the circuit to identify the root cause of the behavior and implement appropriate solutions.

Back