Register to reply

Lagrangian Mechanics + Constraint: Trajectory of a rolling object on a curved surface

Share this thread:
physicsnewblol
Mar11-12, 09:48 PM
P: 9
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want to be able to plot a trajectory wrt time of a ball that rolls without slip on a curved surface.

Known variables:
-radius/mass/moment of inertia of the ball.
-formula for the curvature of the path (quadratic)
-formula relating path length and corresponding height above the ground. (linearly decreasing, i.e. as you travel down the curve, you decrease in height).

2. Relevant equations
Euler-Lagrange Equations

3. The attempt at a solution
See attached for further details.

I've come up with an answer for the acceleration of the ball along the path length. However, it isn't a function of the starting height as I expected. I suspect I may have made an assumption that I'm not supposed to but I can't see what it is.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0001.pdf (852.5 KB, 25 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
physicsnewblol
Mar13-12, 12:34 AM
P: 9
After some though and comparison to classical mechanics, I've determined that the assumption that the height of the ball decreases linearly with arc length is not correct.

It seems my potential term is going to be some complicated function of arc length.

Anyone else have thoughts?

Register to reply