Cylinder with Displaced Center of Mass Rolling Down Incline

In summary, a rigid cylinder with a central axis and radius R and mass μ has a moment of inertia I around an axis going through the center of mass. It can roll without slipping on a plane inclined at angle θ with negligible friction. Its center of mass is displaced a distance a (0 < a < R) from the central axis, and is homogeneous along the central axis but not in the radial and angular directions. The Euler-Lagrange equations for the cylinder can be found, and the difference in motion for θ = 0 and non-zero θ can be discussed qualitatively. The kinetic energy is the sum of translational and rotational kinetic energy, and the potential energy is given by -μgxsinθ and -
GL_Black_Hole

Homework Statement

A rigid cylinder of radius ##R## and mass ##\mu## has a moment of inertia ##I## around an axis going through the center of mass and parallel to the central axis of the cylinder. The cylinder is homogeneous along its central axis, but not in the radial and angular directions. Thus, its center of mass is displaced a distance ##a## (##0 < a < R##) from the central axis. The cylinder can roll without slipping on a plane and dissipation due to friction is assumed to be negligible. The plane is inclined on an angle ##\theta## with respect to the horizontal and the central axis of the cylinder is parallel to the horizontal plane. Find the Euler-Lagrange equations for the cylinder and discuss qualitatively the difference in motion of the cylinder for ##\theta =0## and non-zero ##\theta##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The cylinder can be considered to be rotating about its instantaneous point of contact with some angular velocity ##\dot{\phi}## where ##\phi## is the angle between a line through the geometric center of the cylinder and line from the center of mass perpendicular to it. So the translational velocity of the center of mass of the cylinder is ##V_{cm} = |b| \dot{\phi}## where ##|b|## is the distance of the center of mass from the point of contact. From the cosine law this distance is ## |b| = \sqrt{a^2 +R^2 -2aR\cos{\phi}}##. So the kinetic energy is then the sum of the translational energy and rotational kinetic energy of the cylinder. The difficulty I'm having with this problem comes when I have to find the potential energy and impose the rolling constraint. Calling the displaced distance down the incline ##x## then the potential energy should be ##-\mu g x\sin{\theta}## but gravity produces a torque about the rotation axis because the center of mass doesn't lie directly above it so there is an additional term ##-\mu g (R-a\cos{\phi})##. So i don't see how to finish up finding the Lagrangian and put these pieces together. For ##\theta=0## only the second potential energy term would appear and I can solve for the motion in that case.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would probably consider the problem as seen from the geometric axis, but your approach works as well.
GL_Black_Hole said:
So the kinetic energy is then the sum of the translational energy and rotational kinetic energy of the cylinder.
Relative to the contact point there is only rotation (but you have to find the moment of inertia I').
GL_Black_Hole said:
So i don't see how to finish up finding the Lagrangian and put these pieces together.
Which part is unclear? You still need a relation between x and ##\phi## but that shouldn't be difficult.
GL_Black_Hole said:
For ##\theta=0## only the second potential energy term would appear and I can solve for the motion in that case.
While that is true it is probably not the discussion the problem asks for.

1. What is the definition of a cylinder with displaced center of mass rolling down an incline?

A cylinder with displaced center of mass rolling down an incline is a physical system where a cylinder, or any other object with a cylindrical shape, is placed on an inclined surface and then released. The center of mass of the object is not aligned with its geometric center, causing it to roll and exhibit a complex rotational motion as it moves down the incline.

2. How does the displacement of the center of mass affect the motion of the cylinder rolling down an incline?

The displacement of the center of mass affects the motion of the cylinder rolling down an incline by introducing a torque that causes the cylinder to rotate as it moves down the incline. This rotation can also cause the cylinder to deviate from a straight path and exhibit a curved motion.

3. What factors determine the speed of the cylinder as it rolls down an incline?

The speed of the cylinder rolling down an incline is determined by several factors, including the angle of the incline, the displacement of the center of mass, the mass and size of the cylinder, and the surface properties of the incline such as friction.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the speed of the cylinder rolling down?

The angle of the incline and the speed of the cylinder rolling down are directly related. As the angle of the incline increases, the speed of the cylinder also increases. This is because a steeper incline provides a greater force of gravity, causing the cylinder to accelerate faster.

5. How does the presence of friction affect the motion of the cylinder rolling down an incline?

The presence of friction can significantly affect the motion of the cylinder rolling down an incline. Friction acts as a resistive force, slowing down the motion of the cylinder and causing it to move at a slower speed. It can also cause the cylinder to roll in a more controlled and predictable manner, as it counteracts the torque caused by the displaced center of mass.