Lagrangian of a sphere rolling down a moving incline

In summary, the problem involves a sphere of mass m2 and radius R rolling down a perfectly rough wedge of mass m1. The wedge sits on a frictionless surface, causing the sphere to roll down while the wedge moves in the opposite direction. The Lagrangian of the system can be obtained by using generalized coordinates, but it is important to choose the appropriate number of coordinates and to consider the constraints of the system. The Lagrange multipliers can also be used to determine the forces of the constraints. There is no horizontal force on the system, so the center of mass remains in place.
kafn8

Homework Statement

A sphere of mass m2 and radius R rolls down a perfectly rough wedge of mass m1. The wedge sits on a frictionless surface so as the sphere rolls down, the wedge moves in opposite direction. Obtain the Lagrangian.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my diagram of the situation. I used a cartesian system with the origin at the bottom corner of the wedge. Also I treated the sphere as the point in contact with the wedge, and I treat the wedge as a point at its top corner.
IMG_0812.JPG

I imagined that as the sphere rolls down the incline, its y-value changes but the x-value stays the same as the wedge slips to the left (similar to someone slipping on a banana peel, or running on a free-floating log). Also, in an attempt to have x and y as my generalized coordinates, I expressed the distance [itex] s [/itex] the sphere makes along the incline in terms of x and y (see pic)
IMG_0813.JPG

My Lagrangian worked out to be the following:
IMG_0814.jpg

The problem I have with this is that if I were to continue finding equations of motion from this Lagrangian, I'd clearly have no equations to express the acceleration in the x-direction. I'm left with only acceleration in the y-direction but the wedge is clearly moving away from the origin so there should be x-acceleration there.

Should I be using a different point of origin? Or maybe a different coordinate system altogether??

Attachments

• IMG_0812.JPG
    IMG_0812.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,429
  • IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,368
  • IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,355
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello kafn8, :welcome:

kafn8 said:
but the x-value stays the same
Ah, so there is some horizontal force at work as well ? Because if the sphere x remains the same, the center of mass of the whole system moves sideways !

PS how many degrees of freedom do you have ? So how many generalized coordinates do you really need ?

##y_1## is a funny choice. What does it tell you ? And: what is ##\dot y_1 ## ? :rolleyes:

BvU said:
Hello kafn8, :welcome:

Ah, so there is some horizontal force at work as well ? Because if the sphere x remains the same, the center of mass of the whole system moves sideways !

PS how many degrees of freedom do you have ? So how many generalized coordinates do you really need ?

##y_1## is a funny choice. What does it tell you ? And: what is ##\dot y_1 ## ? :rolleyes:

Thanks, BvU.

The wedge is moving in one dimension but the sphere's position can be expressed by x and y coordinates. That's where I get confused. Should I consider the motion of the wedge as my limiting factor and just call it one degree of freedom?

I think I was just forcing the problem to have x and y coordinates - the toughest part of these problems is figuring out an appropriate coordinate system and I saw some potential in the cartesian system. ##y_1## and ##\dot y_1## don't make sense. It describes the top point of the wedge as having some vertical motion relative to the surface, and that's clearly not happening. ##y_1## is a constant.

A way to look at it is: you have a lot of coordinates but also a lot of constraints (wedge moves horizontally only, sphere moves on wedge surface,rolling without slipping). The Lagrange multipliers will tell you the forces of the constraints, which you may or may not be interested in. Pick enough generalized coordinates but no more than necessary. An there is no horizontal force on the whole system, so the center of mass stays in place...

1. What is the Lagrangian of a sphere rolling down a moving incline?

The Lagrangian of a sphere rolling down a moving incline is a mathematical expression that represents the total energy of the system. It takes into account the kinetic energy of the rolling sphere and the potential energy due to its position on the incline. It is commonly denoted as L and is equal to the difference between the kinetic and potential energies.

2. How is the Lagrangian calculated for a sphere rolling down a moving incline?

The Lagrangian for a sphere rolling down a moving incline can be calculated using the equation L = T - V, where T is the kinetic energy of the sphere and V is the potential energy. The kinetic energy of a rolling sphere is equal to 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. The potential energy is equal to mgh, where m is the mass of the sphere, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the sphere on the incline.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in the study of mechanics?

The Lagrangian is a fundamental concept in the study of mechanics, specifically in the field of classical mechanics. It is a mathematical tool that allows us to analyze the motion of a system and determine its equations of motion. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the motion of a system is determined by minimizing the action, or the integral of the Lagrangian, over a given time interval.

4. How is the Lagrangian of a sphere rolling down a moving incline related to conservation of energy?

The Lagrangian of a sphere rolling down a moving incline is related to the principle of conservation of energy. Since the Lagrangian represents the total energy of the system, it remains constant throughout the motion of the sphere. This means that the kinetic and potential energies of the sphere are constantly changing, but their sum remains the same. As a result, the Lagrangian provides a useful tool for analyzing the conservation of energy in a rolling sphere system.

5. Can the Lagrangian of a sphere rolling down a moving incline be used to determine the final position and velocity of the sphere?

Yes, the Lagrangian of a sphere rolling down a moving incline can be used to determine the final position and velocity of the sphere. By setting up the equations of motion using the Lagrangian, we can solve for the position and velocity of the sphere at any given time. This allows us to predict the behavior of the system and make accurate calculations for its final state.