Solving a DC Circuit with OpAmp

In summary, the potential at node d is zero because the current I_12 through the 6kΩ resistor is 0.5I.
doublemint
Hey everyone,

I am trying to solve for the circuit that I have attached.

So I know that for a opamp, it does not draw any currents into its input side and the nodes b and c are the same potential. To figure out the potential at node b, i need to know I_6, but that 6k resistor is messing everything up.

If I assume that the 6k resistor is parallel to other 6k resistors then I can solve for I_6=1 mA
However, if that is the case then I_12=1 mA as well. But that means that the resulting voltage at node d is 0...which does not make sense..
Furthermore, from node c, I can use that to solve for the potential at node d.

I cannot say all three 6k resistors are in series since from that diagram it does not seem to be unless the ground has to do something with it.

Am I missing something here?

Here is my math:

V_a=12V
I_6=12V/12k = 1mA
therefore: V_b=V_c=6V
I_3=(V_c-3V)/3k = 1mA
V_d=V_c+9I_3=6+9=15V

this does not make sense since from V_a, I_12=1mA and that would result in V_d=0V...

DM
P.S sorry the diagram is so small!

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
V_a=12V
This can't be right. Why ignore the current I to ground through the 6kΩ?
V_a=12 – I*6k

The potential divider with a pair of 6kΩ resistors gives
V_b=V_a / 2
This potential divider is unloaded because the current into the op-amp + input is so tiny.

Ok, that kinda makes sense to me.

So if I care my calculations with V_a=12 – I*6k,
V_c = V_b = 6-I*3k
V_d = V_c -3 +I_3*9k = 12-12I
V_a-I_12 = V_d --> I_12=0.5I
V_b = V_a -I_6*6k --> I_6 = 1-0.5I
Therefore I = I_12 + I_6 = 1 mA

This would mean that the potential at node d is zero. Can opamps do that?

V_d = V_c -3 +I_3*9k = 12-12I
12-12I https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

I can't see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
well i calculated I_3 as (V_c-3V)/3k = (6-3I-3)/3 = 1-I

so subbing that into V_d = V_c -3 +I_3*9k = 6-3I-3+9(1-I) = 12-12I

unless i calculated I_3 wrong?

doublemint said:
well i calculated I_3 as (V_c-3V)/3k = (6-3I-3)/3 = 1-I

so subbing that into V_d = V_c -3 +I_3*9k = 6-3I-3+9(1-I) = 12-12I
Check this.

I see, I could exclude the 3V source from the calculation of V_d which would make it 15-12I
So now,
V_a-I_12*12k = V_d = 15-12I
12-6I - I_12*12k = 15-12I
I_12 = 0.5I-0.25

Since V_b = V_a -I_6*6k --> I_6 = 1-0.5I
then I= I_12 +I_6 = 0.75

As for I_2,
It should simply just be I_2 = V_d/2k
and I could just find the value of every other current and voltage by subbing in I.

doublemint said:
then I= I_12 +I_6 = 0.75
correct

1. How do OpAmps work in a DC circuit?

OpAmps, or operational amplifiers, are devices that amplify the voltage difference between its two input terminals. In a DC circuit, they are typically used as voltage amplifiers, where the output voltage is directly proportional to the input voltage. The output voltage can be controlled by adjusting the feedback network, which consists of resistors and capacitors, connected between the output and the inverting input terminal.

2. What is the purpose of using an OpAmp in a DC circuit?

The main purpose of using an OpAmp in a DC circuit is to amplify the input signal to a desired level. This can be useful in many applications, such as signal conditioning, filtering, and amplification of sensor signals. OpAmps also have high input impedance and low output impedance, making them ideal for use in circuits that require high gain and minimal loading effects.

3. How do you solve a DC circuit with an OpAmp?

To solve a DC circuit with an OpAmp, you first need to determine the input and output voltages, as well as the feedback network of resistors and capacitors. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to analyze the circuit and calculate the gain of the OpAmp. Finally, you can use the gain equation and the input voltage to calculate the output voltage.

4. What is the ideal gain for an OpAmp in a DC circuit?

The ideal gain for an OpAmp in a DC circuit is infinite, meaning that the output voltage would be an exact multiple of the input voltage. However, in reality, OpAmps have a limited gain, typically in the range of 10,000 to 100,000. This is still significantly higher than other types of amplifiers, making OpAmps a popular choice in electronic circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to using an OpAmp in a DC circuit?

Yes, there are some limitations to using an OpAmp in a DC circuit. One limitation is that OpAmps require a power supply to function, so the circuit must have a stable and appropriate power source. Additionally, OpAmps have a limited bandwidth and can introduce noise and distortion to the output signal. It is important to choose the right OpAmp for the specific application to minimize these limitations.