LCR circuit, calculating R when frequency width is given

In summary: Calculating R When Frequency Width is GivenIn summary, the conversation focused on calculating the resistance (R) in a LCR circuit when given the frequency width. The Kirchoff Voltage Loop Law was used to establish an equation involving potential drops across the inductor and capacitor. It was also mentioned that the EMF across the inductor may affect the current according to Lenz's law, and there was some uncertainty about the correctness of this equation. The conversation also touched on equations involving the Quality Factor (Q) in a resonant circuit, and the speaker expressed a need for help in finding a similar equation for the LCR circuit. Wikipedia was suggested as a resource for this information.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-23_14-11-32.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-12-23_16-16-27.png

LCR circuit, calculating R when frequency width is given

Applying Kirchoff Voltage Loop Law,

## V_A – V_B + V_B - V_C + V_C – V_A = 0 ## ...(2)

## V_A – V_B ## is potential drop across inductor. Since current is flowing from A to B, I tend to take ## V_A > V_B ## . This way I am taking inductor as a resistor. Inductor has a very low resistance. So, ## V_A – V_B ## , taking this way is negligible.

Since the current is decreasing through inductor, there will be an EMF across it. This EMF will tend to increase the current according to Lenz's law. This EMF = - L ## \frac { dI} {dt} ## = ## V_A – V_B ## ...(3)

I doubt whether (3) is correct.

From (2) and (3),

- L ## \frac { dI} {dt} + IR - \frac { q} C = 0 ##

Is this correct?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-23_14-11-32.png
    upload_2017-12-23_14-11-32.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 928
  • upload_2017-12-23_16-16-27.png
    upload_2017-12-23_16-16-27.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 896
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know some equations involving Q, the Quality Factor of a resonant circuit?

NascentOxygen said:
Do you know some equations involving Q, the Quality Factor of a resonant circuit?
In mechanics, I knew.
Q = ## \frac {\omega_0}{\Delta \omega}##
Here, ##\Delta \omega = \gamma = \frac b m ## where b is the coefficient of damping
I want to have a similar eqn for LCR circuit and then find out what is b and m in this circuit.
But I am stuck in applying emf across inductor = ## -L\frac {dI}{dT} ## in writing the second order linear differential eqn for the circuit.
I need help here.

Wikipedia has a decent coverage of the RLC circuit, including a relevant section on expressions for its Q :wink:

RLC Circuit

Likes scottdave

1. What is an LCR circuit?

An LCR circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of three components: an inductor (L), a capacitor (C), and a resistor (R). These components are connected in either series or parallel and can be used to store and manipulate electrical energy.

2. How does an LCR circuit work?

An LCR circuit works by using the properties of inductors, capacitors, and resistors to create a resonant frequency. This frequency allows for the maximum transfer of energy between the inductor and the capacitor, resulting in a high amount of current flow through the circuit.

3. How do you calculate R in an LCR circuit when the frequency width is given?

The formula for calculating R in an LCR circuit when frequency width is given is R = 1/(2πfC), where f is the frequency and C is the capacitance. This formula takes into account the inductive reactance and capacitive reactance in the circuit to determine the resistance.

4. What is the significance of calculating R in an LCR circuit?

Calculating R in an LCR circuit is important because it allows us to determine the amount of resistance that is present in the circuit. This information is crucial for understanding the behavior and performance of the circuit, and it can help in designing and troubleshooting electrical systems.

5. Can the resistance in an LCR circuit be adjusted?

Yes, the resistance in an LCR circuit can be adjusted by changing the value of the resistor (R). This can be done by using a variable resistor or by changing the physical characteristics of the resistor, such as its length or material. Adjusting the resistance can affect the resonant frequency and overall performance of the circuit.