Create a circuit in simulation to prove my work (2 batteries and 1 lamp bulb)

leejohnson222
Homework Statement
create a circuit with 2 dc sources of 12v in parallel, one battery has a resistance of 2ohms the second has 4ohms, a lamp is connected between terminal A and B with a 6V rating and 1W
Relevant Equations
Thevenin resistance Rth = 1.333ohms
Thevenin Voltage Vth = 12V
so this is a question i am trying to solve and then confirm with the simulation,
so far i have..
Lamp load
IL = PL/VL 1/6 = 0.1667A

Thevenin resistance Rth = Rs1 || Rs 2 = 2 x 4 / 2 +4 = 1.333ohms

Vth = 12V

look at node voltage with load circuit and use kcl
V = 6V

Is1 = 12 -6 / 2 = 3A

Is2 = 12-6/4 = 1.5A

supply can be 4.5A but lamp load is 0.1667A

i think the resistance of the light source is 35.99 ohms ?

i am not sure how i draw this to confirm my working out, i thought i would recreate the circuit and the amp meter would read 4.5A going into the lamp,

Physics news on Phys.org
Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 21.42.00.png
Screenshot 2023-09-27 at 07.56.53.png

It seems odd that they would specify a 6V lamp bulb to use in a 12V circuit. Are you sure you copied the problem statement accurately?

Perhaps by saying "create a circuit" they mean to add other components to make the circuit function within specifications? A resistor perhaps?

1695838339175.png

• Informative
Likes Tom.G and berkeman
i have the details correct

leejohnson222 said:
Homework Statement: create a circuit with 2 dc sources of 12v in parallel, one battery has a resistance of 2ohms the second has 4ohms, a lamp is connected between terminal A and B with a 6V rating and 1W
Relevant Equations: Thevenin resistance Rth = 1.333ohms Not given equations - the results of your calculation?
Thevenin Voltage Vth = 12V

so this is a question i am trying to solve and then confirm with the simulation,
so far i have..
Lamp load
IL = PL/VL 1/6 = 0.1667A IF it is supplied with 6 V.

Thevenin resistance Rth = Rs1 || Rs 2 = 2 x 4 / 2 +4 = 1.333ohms

Vth = 12V

look at node voltage with load circuit and use kcl
V = 6V But you don't yet know what the voltage across the bulb is. (see below).

Is1 = 12 -6 / 2 = 3A Likewise, you don't know the terminal voltage of the battery.

Is2 = 12-6/4 = 1.5A

supply can be 4.5A but lamp load is 0.1667A

i think the resistance of the light source is 35.99 ohms ? Beware of rounding errors. (see below)

i am not sure how i draw this to confirm my working out, i thought i would recreate the circuit and the amp meter would read 4.5A going into the lamp,
Sorry, I can't help with your question, but IMO that is impossible without more information. But You may be interested to know:
You cannot assume that a "6 V, 1 W bulb" will have 6V pd across it, nor that it will pass 1/6 A when connected to anything other than a supply which puts 6V across it.

A lamp rated as 6 V 1 W means, if connected to a 6V supply it should use 1 W and hence draw 1/6 A, so its resistance would thern be 36 Ohm. But if you connect it to a supply producing a different voltage, then there may be a different voltage across the bulb.
So a supply putting 3 V across the bulb, might pass only 1/12 A giving power of only 3/12 or 1/4 W.

(In fact, a light bulb, because the filament heats up so much, usually has a much lower resistance when it is cold. You can't easily calculate that resistance, but you know it will be less when the light is off or dim, so at 3 V it might have a resistance of (eg.) 30 Ohm, so current 3/30 = 1/10 A and power = 3 x 0.1 = 0.3 W )

PS.
Beware of rounding errors. (unimportant here, but can be.)
IF you calculate 6.000 / 0.1667 = 35.99280 etc. then, because you used a value rounded to 4 sf, you can rely on only 3sf, which = 36.0 which is the answer you get if you don't round 1/6 to 0.1667. Work to one more place than you give your result. 35.99 is fine as an intermediate answer - still working with 4sf, but as a final result, round it to 36.0 to 3sf.

Likes berkeman

1. How do I create a circuit in simulation to prove my work?

To create a circuit in simulation, you will need to use a program or software that allows you to design and simulate circuits. Some popular options include LTspice, CircuitLab, and Tinkercad. These programs have tools and components that you can use to build your circuit and test its functionality.

2. What components do I need for my circuit?

For a circuit with 2 batteries and 1 lamp bulb, you will need the following components: 2 batteries (of the same voltage), 1 lamp bulb, 2 wires, and a resistor (optional). The batteries will act as the power source, the lamp bulb will be the load, and the wires will connect all the components in the circuit.

3. How do I connect the components in the circuit?

To connect the components in the circuit, you will need to use the wires. The positive terminal of one battery should be connected to the positive terminal of the other battery. Then, connect the negative terminal of one battery to the positive terminal of the lamp bulb. Finally, connect the negative terminal of the lamp bulb to the negative terminal of the other battery. If you are using a resistor, you can connect it in series with the lamp bulb.

4. How do I test the circuit in simulation?

Once you have built the circuit in the simulation program, you can test it by running a simulation. This will show you the flow of current and voltage in the circuit. You can also use a multimeter tool to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. Make sure to check for any errors or inconsistencies in the results to ensure the accuracy of your circuit.

5. What should I do if my circuit does not work in simulation?

If your circuit does not work in simulation, there could be a few reasons for it. First, check if all the components are connected correctly. Make sure the batteries are not drained and the lamp bulb is not burnt out. You can also try changing the values of the components, such as using a higher voltage battery or a different resistor, to see if that affects the circuit's functionality. If you are still having trouble, consult with a more experienced colleague or seek help from the simulation program's support team.