Share this thread:
conorordan
Apr3-12, 02:02 PM
P: 13
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"The transformation T from the z-plane to the w-plane is given by

[itex]w=\frac{1}{Z-2}[/itex]

where [itex]Z=x+iy[/itex] and [itex]w=u+iv[/itex]

Show that under T the straight line with equation [itex]2x+y=5[/itex] is transformed to a circle in the w-plane with centre [itex]\left ( 1,-\frac{1}{2} \right )[/itex] and radius [itex]\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've worked out that the line [itex]2x+y=5[/itex] can be written in locus form as [itex]\left|Z-10\right|=\left|Z+10-10i\right|[/itex]
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Joffan
Apr3-12, 02:33 PM
P: 361
##2x+y=5 \implies y=5-2x## so we're looking for the transform of ##z = x+i(5-2x)##.
conorordan
Apr3-12, 05:12 PM
P: 13
Quote Quote by Joffan View Post
##2x+y=5 \implies y=5-2x## so we're looking for the transform of ##z = x+i(5-2x)##.
okay I substituted z into the transformation but I cannot get an equation of a circle to come out, where do I go from here?

Fredrik
Apr3-12, 06:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,382
Complex Numbers

Can you find u and v in terms of x? I would do that, and then compute ##(u-1)^2+(v+\frac 1 2)^2##. If you get stuck, then show us your work up to the point where you are stuck.

Edit: OK, I actually tried that, and the result I got is kind of a mess. Makes me wonder if the statement you want to prove is actually true. Can you check if you have stated the problem correctly?

Edit 2: I tried a couple of specific points on that line (the ones I tried were 2+i and 1+3i), and found that they are mapped to points at the correct distance from 1-i/2. So the statement you're supposed to prove is probably OK. This should mean that it's possible to simplify the mess I got to 5/4. Maybe there's a less messy way to do this. It's been a long time since I did one of these problems, so I don't remember if there are any standard tricks.

Register to reply