A straight line in the complex plane

This means that the real and imaginary parts of ##w## are both linear equations, which can be written in the form of a complex straight line equation, as shown in eq(1). Therefore, both ##w## and ##w-w*## can be described as complex straight lines.
rajeshmarndi
Homework Statement
w+w* = (s+t*)z + (t+s*)z* + r+r* = 0, is a straight line. Then couldn't find how does
w-w* = (s-t*)z + (t-s*)z* + r-r* = 0, is also a straight line.
Relevant Equations
w = sz+tz*+r=0
sz+tz*+r=0=say w

so w* = s*z* + t*z + r*=0

Now ,
w+w* = (s+t*)z + (t+s*)z* + r+r* = 0
= p*z + pz* + k = 0...eq(1) ( k is a constant or twice real part of w)
which is in complex straight line equation form i.e ab* + a*b + c = 0 ( a,b are complex number and c a real number.

Now, again,
w-w* = (s-t*)z + (t-s*)z* + r-r* = 0

I couldn't understand, in the solution, how this is also termed as a complex straight line like eq(1).
Since when this is worked out, it comes to be as,

q*z - qz* + id = 0 ( since r-r* will give imaginary number)

This is not in the form of a complex straight line equation.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
rajeshmarndi said:
sz+tz*+r=0=say w

so w* = s*z* + t*z + r*=0

Now ,
w+w* = (s+t*)z + (t+s*)z* + r+r* = 0
= p*z + pz* + k = 0...eq(1) ( k is a constant or twice real part of w)
which is in complex straight line equation form i.e ab* + a*b + c = 0 ( a,b are complex number and c a real number.

Now, again,

I couldn't understand, in the solution, how this is also termed as a complex straight line like eq(1).
Since when this is worked out, it comes to be as,

q*z - qz* + id = 0 ( since r-r* will give imaginary number)

This is not in the form of a complex straight line equation.

Thanks.

What, in plain language, is the statement of the problem? Is it "prove that w+w*=0 describes a straight line in the complex plane"? Is it something else? I cannot figure out what you want.

Ray Vickson said:
What, in plain language, is the statement of the problem?
I want to know,
given w= sz+tz*+r=0

Is
also a complex straight line?

[edit: r,s,t are non-zero complex number and z=x+iy (x,y ε R) ]

Last edited:
rajeshmarndi said:
I want to know,
given w= sz+tz*+r=0

Is
also a complex straight line?

[edit: r,s,t are non-zero complex number and z=x+iy (x,y ε R) ]

Write ##w## in real terms, and expand it out to see what you get. That is, write ##s=s_1+i s_2, t = t_1+i t_2, r = r_1+i r_2## and ##z = x + i y##.

Ray Vickson said:
Write ##w## in real terms, and expand it out to see what you get. That is, write ##s=s_1+i s_2, t = t_1+i t_2, r = r_1+i r_2## and ##z = x + i y##.
##w## becomes,

##w = [(s_1+t_1)x + (t_2-s_2)y] + i[(s_2+t_2)x + (s_1-t_1)y+r_2]=0##

So the real terms of ##w## is ## [(s_1+t_1)x + (t_2-s_2)y]=0##

1. What is a straight line in the complex plane?

A straight line in the complex plane is a geometric concept that represents a set of points in the plane that can be described by a linear equation in the form of z = a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. This equation is known as the standard form of a complex number, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. How is a straight line represented in the complex plane?

A straight line in the complex plane is usually represented by a line segment with two endpoints, each of which corresponds to a complex number. The slope of the line can be determined by the imaginary part divided by the real part of the complex numbers at the endpoints. The line can also be represented by an equation in the form of z = a + bt, where t is a real number representing the position along the line.

3. What is the significance of a straight line in the complex plane?

In the complex plane, a straight line represents a one-dimensional space that can be used to visualize and analyze complex numbers. It is also used to represent various mathematical concepts and functions, such as the complex conjugate and the argument of a complex number. Additionally, straight lines in the complex plane can be used to solve equations and equations involving complex numbers.

4. How does a straight line in the complex plane differ from a straight line in the Cartesian plane?

A straight line in the complex plane differs from a straight line in the Cartesian plane in terms of the coordinates used to represent points on the line. In the complex plane, points are represented by complex numbers, while in the Cartesian plane, points are represented by ordered pairs of real numbers. Additionally, the slope of a straight line in the complex plane is determined by the ratio of imaginary and real parts, while the slope in the Cartesian plane is determined by the ratio of the y and x coordinates.

5. Can a straight line in the complex plane be vertical or horizontal?

Yes, a straight line in the complex plane can be vertical or horizontal. A vertical line in the complex plane has a slope that is undefined, while a horizontal line has a slope of 0. These lines can be represented by equations in the form of z = a + bi, where a or b is equal to 0. However, it is important to note that in the complex plane, the x and y axes do not have the same meaning as in the Cartesian plane, and therefore, the terms "vertical" and "horizontal" may not be applicable in the same way.