Two pencils of planes have a common plane

In summary: So, the condition is that:AB+CD+D=0This is equivalent to the equation Δ=0. In other words, the plane π is the only plane that satisfies the equation.
beglor

Homework Statement

Find the value of the parameter α for which the pencil of planes through the straight line AB has a common plane with the pencil of planes through the straight line CD, where A(1, 2α, α), B(3, 2, 1), C(−α, 0, α) and D(−1, 3, −3).

Homework Equations

Let Δ be a line given by two equations:
A1x+B1y+C1z+D1=0
A2x+B2y+C2z+D2=0
The collection of all planes containing a given straight line Δ is called the pencil of planes through Δ.
The plane π belongs to the pencil of planes through the line Δ if and only if there exists λ,μ∈ℝ such that the equation of the plane π is:
λ(A1x+B1y+C1z+D1)+μ(A2x+B2y+C2z+D2)=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote the equations of the lines AB and CD. But I don't know the condition for a plane to be common to two pencil of planes in the same time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I took a course in projective geometry in 1959 taught by C. R. Wylie Jr. at the University of Utah. Never used it since and about the only thing I remember about it is the use of pencils of lines and pencils of planes. I always figured the terms came from projective geometry.

beglor said:

Homework Statement

Find the value of the parameter α for which the pencil of planes through the straight line AB has a common plane with the pencil of planes through the straight line CD, where A(1, 2α, α), B(3, 2, 1), C(−α, 0, α) and D(−1, 3, −3).

Homework Equations

A1x+B1y+C1z+D1=0
A2x+B2y+C2z+D2=0
The collection of all planes containing a given straight line Δ is called the pencil of planes through Δ.
The plane π belongs to the pencil of planes through the line Δ if and only if there exists λ,μ∈ℝ such that the equation of the plane π is:

I wrote the equations of the lines AB and CD. But I don't know the condition for a plane to be common to two pencil of planes in the same time.
There will be a common plane if either
  1. the pencil of planes through the line AB is parallel to the pencil of planes through CD, or
  2. the pencil of planes through the line AB intersects the pencil of planes through CD
In case 1, the vector ##\overrightarrow{AB}## will be a scalar multiple of the vector ##\overrightarrow{CD}##.
In case 2, the equations of the two lines have to have a common solution.

If the lines are skew, there can't be a common plane.

I think I've covered all the possibilities...

beglor said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

A1x+B1y+C1z+D1=0
A2x+B2y+C2z+D2=0

You want to find a plane that contains both lines AB and CD, so contains the four points A, B, C and D. It is a standard exercise to find the plane containing the three points A, B and C; then you can fix ##\alpha## by requiring that the fourth point, D, must also lie in the same plane.

1. What does it mean for two pencils of planes to have a common plane?

When two pencils of planes have a common plane, it means that there is at least one plane that is common to both sets of planes. In other words, there is a plane that contains at least one line from each pencil of planes.

2. Can two pencils of planes have more than one common plane?

Yes, it is possible for two pencils of planes to have more than one common plane. This occurs when there are multiple planes that contain at least one line from each pencil of planes.

3. How do you determine if two pencils of planes have a common plane?

To determine if two pencils of planes have a common plane, you can look for any lines that are shared between the two pencils. If there is at least one line that is part of both pencils, then there is a common plane. Alternatively, you can also find the intersection of the two pencils and see if it contains any planes.

4. What is the significance of two pencils of planes having a common plane?

When two pencils of planes have a common plane, it means that there is a relationship between the two sets of planes. This relationship can be helpful in solving geometric problems and can provide insight into the structure and properties of the planes involved.

5. Is it possible for two pencils of planes to have no common plane?

Yes, it is possible for two pencils of planes to have no common plane. This occurs when there are no lines that are shared between the two pencils and when the intersection of the two pencils does not contain any planes. In this case, the two pencils are considered disjoint.