E 0.15-x --- x x

KbNH3-=1.8x10-5
So Kw=1.0e-14=Ka*Kb, so KaNH4=5.56e-10

So, Ka=[H3O+][A-]/[HA]

5.56e-10=x^2/0.15-x
[H+]=[H3O+]=[x]=9.13e-6

pH=-log[H+]
pH=5.04

I understand the work, but my question is why can't I take the -log[x] from kb=[OH-][HA]/[B]? Is it because I have the Kb of NH3 and not the Kb of NH4? Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists eye improved thin films with metal substitution
Essential oils may provide good source of food preservation
Artificial skin flexes when it comes into contact with a solvent vapour
Borek
Apr11-12, 01:03 PM
Admin
P: 23,363
Quote Quote by d.tran103 View Post
my question is why can't I take the -log[x] from kb=[OH-][HA]/[B]
Huh? -log[Kb] is pKb. I suppose that's not what you mean, but what you wrote makes no other sense to me.
d.tran103
Apr11-12, 02:14 PM
P: 39
Oh sorry, I meant to say -log(x) as in taking the -log(H3O+) (from the original ice table)

Borek
Apr11-12, 03:30 PM
Admin
Acid/base equilbrium problems

I still have no idea what you mean by "-log(H3O+) (from the original ice table)".

H3O+ in your ICE table is either 0 (initial value) - you can't take log of zero, or x - which is an unknown, so you can't calculate logarithm of its value before solving the problem.
binomial
Apr19-12, 09:06 PM
P: 7
NH4 has no Kb because it is an acid, not a base. I honestly have no idea what your question is even asking.
binomial
Apr19-12, 10:02 PM
P: 7
I'm still not sure what you're asking. You take the -log(x) once you solve for it to get the pH. If you used the Kb, then you would do 14.00 + log(x) because x in that case would equal the hydroxide concentration, so to get pH you must subtract the pOH from 14.00.
Borek
Apr20-12, 01:43 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by binomial View Post
NH4 has no Kb because it is an acid, not a base
Not that you are wrong, but KaKb=Kw, so you can give both for any acid/conjugate base pair. People often abbreviate it and say Kb of an acid or Ka of a base.

That beiung said, I doubt that's what the OP meant.

Quote Quote by binomial View Post
I'm still not sure what you're asking. You take the -log(x) once you solve for it to get the pH. If you used the Kb, then you would do 14.00 + log(x) because x in that case would equal the hydroxide concentration, so to get pH you must subtract the pOH from 14.00.
You answered a spammer quoting a random part of the first post

Register to reply