Figuring pH of .20M NH3 and .35M NH4Cl

• Thread starter mesa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the pH of a solution with a concentration of .20M NH3 and .35M NH4Cl, using the Kb(NH3) value of 1.8x10^-5. The individual attempts at solving the problem are discussed, with the correct solution ultimately being identified as a buffer solution and the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation being used to calculate the pH. The main error was in identifying the base and its conjugate acid as OH- and H+, rather than NH3 and NH4+.
mesa
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Calculate the pH of a solution that is .20M NH3 and .35M NH4Cl with a Kb(NH3)=1.8x10^-5

The Attempt at a Solution

So first calculated the M of OH- produced by the NH3,
[OH-]=√((1.8x10^(-5))x.20) = 1.9x10^-3

Since NH4Cl will dissociate in H2O it will leave NH4+, NH4+ + H2O ---> NH3 + H30+
Ka would be [1x10^(-14)]/[1.8x10^(-5)] = 5.6x10^(-10) giving us a rather insignificant amount of hydronium produced compared to the amount of OH- from the NH3 but let's figure it none the less,

[H3O] = √(5.6x10^(-10))x.35 = 1.4x10^(-5)
Since the hydronium will react with the OH- subtracting the two gives us 1.88x10^-3M OH-
giving us a pOH of 2.73, or pH of 11.27

The answer is pH 9.01 so I am waaaaay off.
This is new stuff for my brain and that's the excuse I'm sticking with :)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a buffer solution.

Borek said:
This is a buffer solution.

I was breaking it down a little further than the Henderson–Hasselbalch equation so I can get a better conceptual understanding.

The following is correct for that equation is it not?

pH = pKa + log (base/acid)
so pH = 4.74 + log [1.9x10^(-3)]/[5.6x10^-10]

I still get 11.27pH, yikes!

I must be screwing up on the molarity, do you see where I put my marbles on this thing Borek?

Your problem is with the identification of the base and its conjugate acid. These are not OH- and H+.

Borek said:
Your problem is with the identification of the base and its conjugate acid. These are not OH- and H+.

Blamo, Marbles found! :)

1. What is the formula for calculating the pH of a solution containing both NH3 and NH4Cl?

The formula for calculating the pH of a solution containing both NH3 and NH4Cl is: pH = pKa + log(NH4Cl/NH3), where pKa = 9.25 for NH4Cl.

2. How do you determine the concentration of NH3 and NH4Cl in the solution?

The concentration of NH3 and NH4Cl can be determined by dividing the moles of each compound by the total volume of the solution.

3. What is the difference between NH3 and NH4Cl in terms of their acid-base properties?

NH3 is a weak base, while NH4Cl is a salt of a weak base and a strong acid. This means that NH3 can accept a proton to form NH4+ in solution, while NH4Cl will dissociate into NH4+ and Cl- ions.

4. How does the concentration of NH3 and NH4Cl affect the pH of the solution?

The concentration of NH3 and NH4Cl directly affects the pH of the solution. A higher concentration of NH3 will result in a higher pH, while a higher concentration of NH4Cl will result in a lower pH.

5. Can the pH of the solution be altered by adding a strong acid or base?

Yes, the pH of the solution can be altered by adding a strong acid or base. Adding a strong acid will decrease the pH, while adding a strong base will increase the pH. This is because strong acids and bases have a greater effect on the pH compared to weak acids and bases.