Question on the form of a vertex operator in a proof

In summary: It would be a shame to lose the opportunity to learn something new.In summary, the conversation discusses the question of a vertex operator in a proof, specifically formula (33) in paper [1]. The formula is compared to its alleged source [2, Theorem 14.10] and it is noted that there is a difference in the factor at the front. The conversation then discusses the possible origin of this factor and the potential use of half-integers in the infinite wedge representation. The conversation ends with an encouragement for Schure to stay and continue the specialized discussion.
Schure
[Closed] Question on the form of a vertex operator in a proof

Ok, never mind - I decided to find the solution in a different way.. This is a little too specialized anyway. (Is there a way to delete the thread?)

[STRIKE]Hi,

I am reading paper [1] and I found that formula (33),
[tex]\psi(xy)\psi^*(y)=\frac 1{x^{1/2}-x^{-1/2}}\exp\left(\sum_n\frac{(xy)^n-y^n}{n}\alpha_{-n}\right)\exp\left(\sum_n\frac{y^{-n}-(xy)^{-n}}n\alpha_n\right)[/tex]
is almost in accordance to its alleged source [2, Theorem 14.10], except for the factor at the front, namely,
[tex]\frac1{x^{1/2}-x^{-1/2}}.[/tex]
Does anyone know where that comes from? Probably this comes from the shift of coordinates that happens when Eskin and Okounkov use half-integers for the indices in the infinite wedge representation, instead of the usual whole integers. But I have not found the way to fully justify the term using this.

I'd really appreciate a hint! Thanks!

Schure

[1] A. Eskin and A. Okounkov, Pillowcases and quasimodular forms, http://arxiv.org/pdf/math/0505545.pdf
[2] Kac, Infinite dimensional Lie algebras, 3rd edition[/STRIKE]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do stick around Schure, it's good to have some specialized discussion now and again. I find it a nice change of pace from the nth iteration of interpreting quantum mechanics, the twin paradox, or "is string theory science?"

There are some very knowledgeable people who hang out here.

H2: What is a vertex operator in a proof?

A vertex operator is an operation in mathematical physics that is used to describe the behavior of strings in string theory. It is a mathematical object that acts on the state space of a string to produce a new state.

H2: How is a vertex operator used in a proof?

In a proof, a vertex operator is used to represent the action of a symmetrical transformation on a string state. It is a powerful tool that allows for the calculation of correlation functions and other important quantities in string theory.

H2: What is the significance of the form of a vertex operator in a proof?

The form of a vertex operator is significant because it determines the properties and behavior of the string states. It also allows for the calculation of important physical quantities, such as scattering amplitudes, in string theory.

H2: How is a vertex operator related to conformal symmetry?

A vertex operator is closely related to conformal symmetry, which is a fundamental symmetry in string theory. Conformal symmetry allows for the consistent description of the behavior of strings and is intimately connected to the form of the vertex operator.

H2: Can a vertex operator be used in other areas of physics?

Yes, vertex operators have applications in other areas of physics, such as conformal field theory and statistical mechanics. They are also used in other branches of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and representation theory.