Connected graphs and phi^4 interacting theory

In summary: The term $(-\frac{1}{2} (Z_{\psi} - 1)\partial^2 - \frac{1}{2}(Z_m - 1) m^2)$ corresponds to the term in the generating function that corresponds to the propagator for a free theory.
CAF123
Gold Member
I am considering the ##\psi^4## interacting theory and a lagrangian of the form $$\mathcal L = \frac{1}{2}Z_{\psi} \partial^{\mu} \psi \partial_{\mu} \psi - \frac{1}{2}Z_m m^2 \psi^2 - \frac{1}{4!}Z_g g \psi^4$$ with generating functional for the interacting theory $$Z(J) = \int \mathcal D [\psi] \exp(i \int d^4 x(\mathcal L_o + \mathcal L_I + J\psi))$$ which is then written like $$\exp\left(i [\int d^4 y \frac{\delta}{i\delta J(y)} (-\frac{1}{2}(Z_{\psi}-1)\partial^2 - \frac{1}{2}(Z_m -1) m^2) \frac{\delta}{i\delta J(y)} - \frac{Z_g g}{4!}\left(\frac{\delta}{i\delta J(y)}\right)^4]\right) Z_o(J)$$

My notes then go onto say that the feynman rules can be easily deduced from this. I am wondering how so? I realize that the part in brackets between the two derivatives is like a propagator term sandwiched between two source terms and the last term is like a vertex rule, but I am not sure how to formally identify or extract the rules.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't call it "easy" but : http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/cdab3/notes/AQFTscalarFrules.pdf

I see, thanks. But I am wondering, in my case, I have these renormalised scales. Do they give rise to further feynman rules? In $$Z_o(J) = \exp \left[-\frac{1}{2} \int d^4 x \int d^4 x' J(x) D_F(x-x') J(x')\right],$$ this would give rise to a free theory propagator represented pictorially with a line connecting two source vertices at positions x and x' which are subsequently integrated over. What makes it clear what, in the interacting functional, the term $$(-\frac{1}{2} (Z_{\psi} - 1)\partial^2 - \frac{1}{2}(Z_m - 1) m^2) $$ sandwiched between two derivatives wrt the same source is? I think I remember my lecturer saying that it is obvious by looking at the term what it corresponds to.

Thanks!

1. What is a connected graph?

A connected graph is a graph where there is a path between every pair of vertices. This means that no matter which two vertices you choose, there is always a way to get from one to the other by following the edges of the graph.

2. What is phi^4 interacting theory?

Phi^4 interacting theory is a mathematical model used in particle physics to describe the interactions between particles. It is based on the concept of a scalar field, phi, and describes how this field interacts with itself and other fields in a 4-dimensional spacetime.

3. How are connected graphs and phi^4 interacting theory related?

In phi^4 interacting theory, the interactions between particles can be represented by a Feynman diagram, which is essentially a connected graph. The vertices of the graph represent the interactions between particles, while the edges represent the particles themselves. Therefore, connected graphs play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in phi^4 interacting theory.

4. What are some applications of connected graphs and phi^4 interacting theory?

Connected graphs and phi^4 interacting theory have many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of quantum field theory and particle physics. They are also used in condensed matter physics to model the behavior of complex systems. Additionally, they have applications in statistical mechanics and other areas of physics.

5. How is the phi^4 interacting theory different from other interacting theories?

Compared to other interacting theories, phi^4 interacting theory is relatively simple and mathematically tractable. It is also a renormalizable theory, meaning that it can be used to make predictions that are independent of the specific scale at which the theory is applied. This makes it a useful tool for studying the behavior of particles and fields in a wide range of physical systems.