Register to reply

Not Getting Into Graduate School, What now?

by Gandalf1990
Tags: grad school
Share this thread:
Gandalf1990
Apr25-12, 11:54 PM
P: 9
I went to school for physics as an undergradute. I did well in my upper level physics courses, all A's and B's but I messed up very poorly in a math course and didn't put much effort into elective courses and the result is a GPA around 3.0. This combined with the fact that I bombed the PGRE(570)(How I did this bad I'm not sure. I know the physics but a standardized test is never going to test true knowledge very well). I did not get into any of the grad schools I applied to. The problem is that I love physics and after studying it I know that unless I find some sort of physics related position (research preferably) I will not be happy. I

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get back onto the correct path? I know I don't want an engineering job, I would hate that I'm pretty sure based on my summer internship at an engineering business. The field that interests me the most would be astrophysics or cosmology, but i thought I have heard of people getting into medical physics with only bachelors before so I would definitely be interested if that was possible. Any advice? I'm sure I left out some important information but if anyone has anything I would be happy to hear.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
xdrgnh
Apr26-12, 12:03 AM
P: 314
Spend a year in college again and get your GPA up. Also can't you retake the PGRE?
Gandalf1990
Apr26-12, 12:08 AM
Sorry, yeah I realize that spending another year would give me better chances, but financially I don't think its possible to do so. I can retake the PGRE but I would be applying for another year away and I've heard then that even a better PGRE wont necessarily be enough if i have taken a year off of school since i can't really afford another year of schooling

Nabeshin
Apr26-12, 12:11 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,193
Not Getting Into Graduate School, What now?

To me, a PGRE of 570 seems quite troubling. I found that the test was mostly a measure of your ability to prepare and dedicate yourself to something. The physics we all know is not very advanced, and most of the effort I put into it was into coping with the question type, format, and time constraints. Sure, along the way I brushed up on some concepts I had forgotten, but by and large I *KNEW* the answers to most questions when reviewing solutions, but for one reason or another the test format made it more difficult.

If you know that this kind of standardized test is troublesome for you for whatever reason, you really need to put in the time to fix it, however long that takes. If you were getting 800+ or something on the practice exams and then bombed the real deal that's one thing, but if this is consistent then it shows you didn't really make progress. Suppose you got into grad school and then ran into the same difficulty with the quals?
Gandalf1990
Apr26-12, 12:16 AM
The problem was definitely mostly my fault. I did not prepare as much as I should have and I know it is within my capabilities to go back study harder and get ~800 most likely. Another reason, not an excuse, but still a factor is that I transferred into physics after my sophomore year. I came from Mechanical engineering so it was similar but I was behind on my physics courses. That being said I had not taken any statistical mechanics, I was only a month and a half into my upper level quantum mechanics courses and I was only half way done with E&M. I took the GRE when I did because I had to in order to apply for graduate schools for the following year. Would retaking the GRE and reapplying next year with the same gpa but much higher PGRE make the difference or would the year off reflect poorly against me?

Thanks for your input!
chill_factor
Apr26-12, 12:17 AM
P: 887
there's an easy way to fix this. lower your school expectations.
Gandalf1990
Apr26-12, 12:21 AM
chill_factor,

I did, I applied to very mediocre grad schools, A couple of them I thought even with my credentials would have been sure bets. But for some reason I did not even get admission into those.
chill_factor
Apr26-12, 12:23 AM
Quote Quote by Gandalf1990 View Post
chill_factor,

I did, I applied to very mediocre grad schools, A couple of them I thought even with my credentials would have been sure bets. But for some reason I did not even get admission into those.
Damn... I was in your situation too, and I got in. Guess not everyone is as lucky. Best of luck to you... if you have a dream, follow it as long as it isn't a crippling financial ball and chains on your future. Get a job, take the PGRE again, and try again next year... that's about the best you can do.
Gandalf1990
Apr26-12, 12:24 AM
Thanks,

Yeah I am definitely not giving up yet at least. Good luck to you in grad school.
chill_factor
Apr26-12, 12:29 AM
Thanks,

Yeah I am definitely not giving up yet at least. Good luck to you in grad school.
as for your job, here's my recommendations: since you hate engineering, can you do programming? if you hate programming, can you sell stuff? if you hate selling stuff, are you willing to do manual labor?

i personally think that working by itself is pretty beneficial, if nothing more than to give you motivation "if I don't make it that's what's waiting for me outside". i have personal experience with this: i worked as an analytical chemistry technician before, and that's how i knew to stay the hell away from the pharmaceutical industry.
Gandalf1990
Apr26-12, 12:34 AM
Quote Quote by chill_factor View Post
as for your job, here's my recommendations: since you hate engineering, can you do programming? if you hate programming, can you sell stuff? if you hate selling stuff, are you willing to do manual labor?

i personally think that working by itself is pretty beneficial, if nothing more than to give you motivation "if I don't make it that's what's waiting for me outside". i have personal experience with this: i worked as an analytical chemistry technician before, and that's how i knew to stay the hell away from the pharmaceutical industry.
Yeah, Without having worked as an intern i would have stayed in engineering which would have been a mistake. I would probably opt for an engineering position to tide me over until I get into grad school. I agree with you that it serves as a good motivator to study for the PGRE and get into grad school.
xdrgnh
Apr26-12, 12:46 AM
What country are you from. Also if you are in the U.S what state? There are some cheap colleges and you get a job and be a part time student. All you probably need is a A is a 4 credit class upper math/physics or maybe 2 4 credit classes to bring up your GPA.
Gandalf1990
Apr26-12, 12:50 AM
Quote Quote by xdrgnh View Post
What country are you from. Also if you are in the U.S what state? There are some cheap colleges and you get a job and be a part time student. All you probably need is a A is a 4 credit class upper math/physics or maybe 2 4 credit classes to bring up your GPA.
I am from the U.S. from Illinois. There are definitely some cheap schools that I could attend part time to bring up my gpa but I wasn't sure if that would really be worth much since it would not be from a good university. It is definitely an option though
xdrgnh
Apr26-12, 12:52 AM
Most universities have standardized physics curriculum so that wouldn't be much of a problem the reputation of the school. Grad school cares most about knowing that you will excel in Grad school and the best way to show that is to get high grades in upper tier classes.
xdrgnh
Apr26-12, 01:01 AM
What upper tier classes did you take?
Gandalf1990
Apr26-12, 01:26 AM
Quote Quote by xdrgnh View Post
What upper tier classes did you take?
I've taken two semesters of Upper Level E&M, I've taken two semesters of upper level Quantum Mechanics, two semesters of upper level classical mechanics, one semester of thermal physics/statistical mechanics. One classical experiment course, doing stuff like millikan's measurement of the electric charge, etc. I am in an observational astronomy course that covers the types of equipment used now adays. I think thats it for upper level physics
Choppy
Apr26-12, 03:43 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,670
The field that interests me the most would be astrophysics or cosmology, but i thought I have heard of people getting into medical physics with only bachelors before so I would definitely be interested if that was possible.
Occasionally physics technicians or physics assistants are hired with only a BSc-level education. You could try inquiring about that. Getting a job as a full medical physicist today is rather competative for accredited PhDs.
xdrgnh
Apr26-12, 08:39 PM
I've taken two semesters of Upper Level E&M, I've taken two semesters of upper level Quantum Mechanics, two semesters of upper level classical mechanics, one semester of thermal physics/statistical mechanics. One classical experiment course, doing stuff like millikan's measurement of the electric charge, etc. I am in an observational astronomy course that covers the types of equipment used now adays. I think thats it for upper level physics
That does sound like a very competitive list of of classes. If you want to go into cosmology then taking a class in GR would make you very competitive. Or taking a Grad level class would help your application for reapplying to Grad school.

Register to reply