Langevin to Fokker-planck? Uh oh...

by JVanUW
Tags: fokkerplanck, langevin
Share this thread:
JVanUW
Jun7-12, 06:03 AM
P: 23
This isn't homework but I'm interested.
So I have the langevin equation dy/dt = -dV/dy +η(t)

where V(y) = -by^3/3 + ζy

how can I turn this into a fokker-planck equation?

What I'm getting is

x' = -u(bx^2+ζ) + η(t)

Which I don't know how to solve in closed form.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
Andy Resnick
Jun7-12, 08:00 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,508
Yikes... I have some information, but it's not clear how to relate the specific to your question. I have the Langevin equation as m dv/dt = F + f, where f is the randomly fluctuating force. The Fokker-Planck equation is based on the continuity equation and is too messy to write here, but is a time evolution of a probability density. The long-time limit is known as the Smoluchowski equation.

The two equations (Langevin vs. Fokker-Planck/Smoluchowski) differ in a few respects- primarily the relevant timescale, but also the difference in viewing a process as 'diffusive' or as direct modeling of fluctuations in particle velocity.

My reference for this is Brenner and Edwards, "Macrotransport Processes". They begin by defining a timescale that allows for an average velocity, but short enough to allow for fluctuations. This leads to an integral expression for the probability density, and after a few short (but very dense) pages, they show the two approaches yield identical expressions for the diffusivity.

They reference Masters, "Time-scale separations and the validity of the Smoluchowski, Fokker-Planck and Langevin equations as applied to concentrated particle suspensions" Mol. Phys. 57, 303-317 (1986). There may also be some useful material in Balescu's "Statistical Dynamics: Matter out of Equilibrium"- it seems to be an open area of research (by considering Levy distributions instead of Gaussian distributions, for example)
JVanUW
Jun7-12, 09:12 AM
P: 23
I'll check it out thanks!

Register to reply