Anti-Helmholtz coil configuration

by Niles
Tags: antihelmholtz, coil, configuration
Share this thread:
Niles
Jun20-12, 01:26 PM
P: 1,863
Hi

Say I have to coils in the anti-Helmholtz configuration as in the attached picture. It is pretty easy to find the field along the z-direction, as this is introduced in introductory EM. However say that I would like to know the field along the x-direction. This I don't know how to find.

What I *do* know is that the Maxwell Equations (div B = 0) tell me that
[tex]
\frac{dB}{dx} = \frac{dB}{dy} = -\frac{1}{2}\frac{dB}{dz}
[/tex]
But does this imply that the field along x, B(x), is simply -B(z), the negated B-field along the z-direction?

Best,
Niles.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp coils.bmp (248.1 KB, 31 views)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
mfb
Jun21-12, 11:44 AM
Mentor
P: 11,617
div B = 0 is equal to [itex]\frac{\partial B_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial B_y}{\partial y} = - \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial z}[/itex]
Using symmetry, x and y must be the same, therefore [itex]\frac{\partial B_x}{\partial x}= - \frac{1}{2}\frac{\partial B_z}{\partial z}[/itex]
This does not give you any magnetic field! It is just the derivative of the field at some specific point - probably along the central axis. Looking at the (x,y)-plane right in the middle of the coils, you have a field going radially inwards/outwards (depending on the orientation).
Niles
Jun23-12, 06:08 AM
P: 1,863
Thanks, that was kind of you.

marcusl
Jun23-12, 02:02 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,063
Anti-Helmholtz coil configuration

The off-axis field from a current loop is written as an expansion in elliptic integrals (or sometimes other functions, depending on the coordinate system you choose). Here is a site that came up in a Google search for off-axis field from a loop:
http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnettes...s/?offaxisloop
but there are many others. The field from a pair of coils is then a sum of the fields from the individual loops.

More extensive derivations/explanations are found in advanced E&M texts like those by Jackson, Smythe, and Stratton.

Register to reply