Electromagnetism: Magnetic Field, change in permeability

In summary, the magnetic field direction and magnitude is effected by a material with a particular permeability. The problem is more complicated than this, however, and requires a numerical simulation.
Helmholtzerton
Hello everyone.

I've built a Helmholtz coil and I'm attempting to understand how the magnetic field direction and magnitude will be effected do to a material with a particular permeability.

In the first picture I have an infinitely long cylinder with a particular thickness and permeability. There is a coil around the chamber. My Helmholtz coils are some distance from the chamber. I'm trying to find out how the B or H field is effected by the chamber due to its permeability and thickness. There are three areas that I'm concerned about. I was able to solve this for the center of the coil without the chamber using Biot Savart. I'm not sure what happens when a material is added in between.

In the second picture I have an infinitely long piece of square strut. The is a coil around the strut. The strut is off center to the coil. The strut has a particular height and width. I'm trying to find out how the be field is effected within the coils due to the piece of strut.

Is there a particular section in Jackson or Griffiths that would help me understand this problem? I'm assuming dB/dt = 0 as my coils have been turned on and running for some time.

Thanks to anyone who could provide some insight to this problem.

Attachments

• Cyclinder.png
    Cyclinder.png
    5 KB · Views: 430
  • Square.png
    Square.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
The cylinders in the sketch have infinite length, the coils do not (just two with zero length each)? I'm quite sure that needs a numeric simulation.

Assume just one coil in a plane. I'm pretty sure this will require a numeric simulation as well.

I found an example in Jackson that gives some insight to this problem. I have a CAD model of this. Is there is a free solver somewhere for a problem like this?

Have you access to any code solving the Laplace equation in 2D?
You should as a student. I can give you links if you need.

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. This creates a magnetic field around the wire, which can be turned on or off by controlling the flow of electricity.

2. How does a magnetic field affect the permeability of a material?

A magnetic field can change the permeability of a material by aligning the magnetic domains within the material. This can increase or decrease the material's ability to conduct magnetic flux, depending on the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet is affected by the number of turns in the wire coil, the amount of current flowing through the coil, and the type of core material used. Increasing any of these factors can increase the strength of the electromagnet.

4. How is electromagnetism used in everyday life?

Electromagnetism has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in motors and generators, electric motors, MRI machines, and speakers. It is also used in electronic devices like computers, cell phones, and televisions.

5. Can magnetic fields be harmful to humans?

In general, the magnetic fields created by everyday devices and appliances are not harmful to humans. However, exposure to very strong magnetic fields, such as those found in certain medical equipment, can have negative health effects on some individuals.