Volume of Hot & Cold water required for a known volume and temperature

by jmar71n
Tags: enthalpy change, mixing of water, solar thermal
jmar71n
Jun25-12, 05:38 PM
P: 2
I've just set a solar thermal array for research for my thesis. I would like to simulate different usage patterns to see how the system performs. I'm doing this using a Arduino with temperature sensors at the top hot the tank and on the cold supply which will then control a motorised valve which will dump hot water based on the usage patterns I set. I'm struggling to work out how to calculate this.

So for example if I want to dump 50l at 45C and the hot water store is a 60C and the coldwater supply is at 10C.

I need to work out the volume of hot and cold water required. (and tell the motorised valve to open for a time based on the volume calculated)

I've been playing around with Q=mcΔT for a couple of day, and think I need to rearrange the equation to give me a ratio of the hot/cold water then calculate the actual volume based on how much I want to dump.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
haruspex
Jun26-12, 12:40 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,205
Quote Quote by jmar71n View Post
So for example if I want to dump 50l at 45C and the hot water store is a 60C and the coldwater supply is at 10C.
Desired vol = V
Desired temp = Td
Hot temp = Th
Cold temp = Tc
Vol hot needed = V*(Td-Tc)/(Th-Tc)
Vol cold needed = V*(Th-Td)/(Th-Tc)
Is that what you're after?
jmar71n
Jun26-12, 03:21 AM
P: 2
Thanks haruspex!! That works.. I've just tested it experimentally

Do you know what I should look up to get a better understanding to this as where it was derived?

haruspex
Jun26-12, 04:18 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,205

Volume of Hot & Cold water required for a known volume and temperature

Suppose Vol hot needed = Vh and Vol cold needed = Vc.
V = Vh + Vc
The resulting temperature will be a weighted average of the two source temperatures:
Td*V = Th*Vh + Tc*Vc
Then it's just the standard process of solving two simultaneous equations.

Register to reply