How to use cold air mass flow to support supermarket cooling?

• I
  • Thread starter tjrk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooling
tjrk
TL;DR Summary
Cold air mass flow to support supermarkt cooling
An air mass flow of approx. 120 kg/h is available, which can or should be heated up from 0 °C to up to 150 °C. The cooling circuit based on propane R290 is to support the cooling of a supermarket. I have the load curve of the power consumption of the supermarket refrigeration to cool food at a temperature of 4 °C and the air mass flow of the cold air.

How can I conclude from the cold air mass flow to the saved electricity consumption for cooling and is this system reasonable?

Background of this idea is a techno-economic analysis of an energy storage based on compressed air. The usage of cold air could enhance the overall efficiency, the only question is how much energy this could save for cooling the supermarket.
scratch.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Please provide a schematic diagram of what you envision the system to be.

Chestermiller said:
Please provide a schematic diagram of what you envision the system to be.
A schematic overview of the system is attached to my post.

tjrk said:
A schematic overview of the system is attached to my post.
Sorry. I really don't follow what you are trying to do.

Likes russ_watters
Chestermiller said:
Sorry. I really don't follow what you are trying to do.
Please excuse my inaccuracy.

The subject of the study is an existing supermarket with a cooling system (load: 12-20 kW) based on R290 and a solar roof.
An A-CAES (adiabatic compressed air energy storage) is being developed to temporarily store the surplus PV electricity so that it can also be used at night. When the A-CAES is discharged, the compressed air is expanded and the air cools down. This cold air has a mass flow rate of 120 kg/h at a temperature of 0 °C.

This is to be the starting point for developing a refrigeration machine. My focus is on the economic consideration, which is why the amount of energy saved by the original cooling system is relevant for me.

Currently, I have the load profile of the cooling system from the supermarket and from the PV generation. I hope this clarifies my question.

Likes Dale
@tjrk -- Welcome to PF.

Is this by chance a school project? What is your educational background so far?

tjrk said:
TL;DR Summary: Cold air mass flow to support supermarkt cooling

An air mass flow of approx. 120 kg/h is available, which can or should be heated up from 0 °C to up to 150 °C. The cooling circuit based on propane R290 is to support the cooling of a supermarket. I have the load curve of the power consumption of the supermarket refrigeration to cool food at a temperature of 4 °C and the air mass flow of the cold air.

How can I conclude from the cold air mass flow to the saved electricity consumption for cooling and is this system reasonable?
It is not clear what you are asking. If you are trying to use waste energy from a cooling system, you need to find some use for heat flow from the condenser.

Modern supermarkets may have a central refrigeration system that will serve all the refrigerators and freezers. Instead of letting that energy dissipate to the outside, it can be used to heat warehouse space or heat water. This is not a way to store energy, however.

You can't retain the compressed refrigerant to store energy. The output of the compressor has to be cooled in the condenser and then throttled and expanded and cycled through the refrigerators and freezers back to the compressor.

AM

Likes Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
tjrk said:
The subject of the study is an existing supermarket with a cooling system (load: 12-20 kW) based on R290 and a solar roof.
An A-CAES (adiabatic compressed air energy storage) is being developed to temporarily store the surplus PV electricity so that it can also be used at night. When the A-CAES is discharged, the compressed air is expanded and the air cools down. This cold air has a mass flow rate of 120 kg/h at a temperature of 0 °C.

This is to be the starting point for developing a refrigeration machine. My focus is on the economic consideration, which is why the amount of energy saved by the original cooling system is relevant for me.

Currently, I have the load profile of the cooling system from the supermarket and from the PV generation.I hope this clarifies my question.
Some.... In the diagram you appear to be blowing the cold air across the condenser of an air conditioning unit. Why? If the air is at 0C already, the compressed air system is already "a refrigeration machine". Why can't you use the cold air directly? Just blow it into an air conditioning duct, to mix with the return air to the system?

Back of the envelope, 120 kg/hr at 0C is roughly 1.2 kW of cooling, which for a typical air conditioner costs about 260 W of electrical input. That's about what you could save by injecting the cold air into the return air duct of an AC unit.

Likes Vanadium 50
I have looked at this again. If the idea is to use the excess output of a solar panel array to compress air adiabatically in a tank, let the tank cool down and then release the air to cool something, you are wasting most of the energy.

First of all, the Joule-Thompson co-efficient (the rate of change of temperature to change in pressure with no change in enthalpy) for air is effectively zero. While the compressed air does cool when expanding into surroundings at lower pressure (because the expansion into the atmosphere does work), the cooling is not comparable to the cooling of a hydro-fluorocarbon refrigerant (in which the greater cooling in rapid expansion is due to the conversion of molecular kinetic energy to molecular potential energy - the latter not contributing to temperature). To maximize cooling when a fluid expands you need a substance with a low negative Joule-Thompson coefficient.

Second, if you are using air as a coolant, in order to make the air as cool as possible you would need to start with a compressed gas at ambient temperature. But this means that much of the energy stored in the hot air in the tank after adiabatic compression is lost. You need to insulate the tank to retain all the stored energy.

The best way to maximize cooling from the stored hot compressed air would be to use it to run the compressor in the refrigeration system. For example, the hot air under high pressure could be used to drive a reciprocating piston or turbine fan that would then drive the compressor in the refrigeration system.

AM

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Andrew Mason said:
The best way to maximize cooling from the stored hot compressed air would be to use it to run the compressor in the refrigeration system. For example, the hot air under high pressure could be used to drive a reciprocating piston or turbine fan that would then drive the compressor in the refrigeration system.
This would be a heat engine with very low thermodynamic efficiency.

Compressed air is a poor energy storage medium. Energy storage is a hot issue these days and there are very few systems that really work or are economic to run. How about an enormous flywheel? -it's been done before. This link makes good reading.

If you want to 'store cool' then make loads of ice in the daytime. Water based systems are cheap and low tech. They used to have cold stores in large country houses in historic times and chilled storage worked from one winter to the next.

I think the OP is attracted to a particular new system and wants to use it at all costs. Bottom line is the prices of the goods for sale. I would wait for others to put the first toes in the water.

sophiecentaur said:
This would be a heat engine with very low thermodynamic efficiency.
No. It would not be a heat engine at all. All work done by the expanding air would be adiabatic work.

Andrew Mason said:
All work done by the expanding air would be adiabatic work.
OK but how would that be achieved in practice?

sophiecentaur said:
OK but how would that be achieved in practice?
Just connect a hose from the air tank to a pneumatic motor set up to run a compressor for the cooling system. It is adiabatic work because there is no heat flow - no source of heat involved.

It would be more efficient to use the excess output from the solar array to charge a battery that would then be used to power an electric compressor motor. But if the OP wants to insist on using compressed air for cooling, this is much more efficient than just letting the compressed air flow over the parts to be cooled.

AM

Likes russ_watters
Andrew Mason said:
Just connect a hose from the air tank to a pneumatic motor
Filling a diver's air bottle will heat it up. Is there any way that the big bottle elevated temperature could be maintained? Energy will be wasted - particularly because of the very high temperatures involved.
Choosing to do a job with one particular method is not usually a good thing because usually a random choice will not produce the best outcome. Batteries are a known quantity and that particular cycle is favoured for good reasons.

I feel like you guys are violently agreeing with each other except on one pedantic and irrelevant point.

Likes Bystander
russ_watters said:
I feel like you guys are violently agreeing with each other except on one pedantic and irrelevant point.
We agree that the use of compressed air proposed by the OP is a bad idea. Re: the point about the use of compressed air to run a pneumatic motor is not irrelevant. Pneumatic motors are actually quite efficient - not quite as efficient as electric motors but close - and much more efficient than any heat engine.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Pneumatic motors are actually quite efficient - not quite as efficient as electric motors but close - and much more efficient than any heat engine.
No. Pneumatic motors are useful in certain cases, such as very hot environments. The efficiency is very low.

For example, a Gast 6AM-NRV-7A air motor requires 128 CFM of compressed air at 100 PSI to deliver 4.0 hp. An Ingersoll-Rand "Next Generation R-Series Oil-Flooded Rotary Screw Air Premium Efficiency" air compressor rated to deliver 123 CFM at 110 PSI has a 25 hp motor. Air compressors are designed to draw the full motor power when operating at design load, so that compressor is using the full 25 hp. The air motor efficiency is power out divided by power in: ##Efficiency = 4/25 = 16##%.

Data sheet for the Gast motor: https://www.gastmfg.com/sites/default/files/2019-07/std133.pdf
Data for the I-R air compressor: https://www.ingersollrand.com/en-us/air-compressor/oil-flooded-ac/ng-r-series-15-22-kw-20-30-hp

• Informative
Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
sophiecentaur said:
Filling a diver's air bottle will heat it up.
That's one of the reasons we often fill our scuba tanks in a water bath. What's the other reason? :wink:

berkeman said:
What's the other reason?
Spotting bubbles due to a leak?

jrmichler said:
No. Pneumatic motors are useful in certain cases, such as very hot environments. The efficiency is very low.

For example, a Gast 6AM-NRV-7A air motor requires 128 CFM of compressed air at 100 PSI to deliver 4.0 hp. An Ingersoll-Rand "Next Generation R-Series Oil-Flooded Rotary Screw Air Premium Efficiency" air compressor rated to deliver 123 CFM at 110 PSI has a 25 hp motor. Air compressors are designed to draw the full motor power when operating at design load, so that compressor is using the full 25 hp. The air motor efficiency is power out divided by power in: ##Efficiency = 4/25 = 16##%.

Data sheet for the Gast motor: https://www.gastmfg.com/sites/default/files/2019-07/std133.pdf
Data for the I-R air compressor: https://www.ingersollrand.com/en-us/air-compressor/oil-flooded-ac/ng-r-series-15-22-kw-20-30-hp
I was referring to the efficiency of a pneumatic motor to convert the energy in a compressed air source into useful mechanical work. Turbine fans working with compressed air can realize efficiencies of 65%. See: https://library.automationdirect.com/pneumatic-efficiency/

But you are right that, overall, using compressed air as an energy storage device is not efficient for energy storage, as pointed out earlier. There are huge losses in setting up the compressed the air source . But once you have the compressed air, converting it to mechanical work can be fairly efficient.

AM

Likes berkeman
sophiecentaur said:
Spotting bubbles due to a leak?
Not exactly...

Unless you count an exploding scuba tank as a "big bubble". :wink:

sophiecentaur said:
Energy storage is a hot issue t
I saw what you did there.

• Haha
Likes berkeman

1. How does cold air mass flow support supermarket cooling?

Cold air mass flow is used in supermarket cooling systems to maintain a consistent and low temperature inside the store. The cold air is circulated through the refrigeration units and coolers, keeping perishable items fresh and preventing them from spoiling. This helps to create a comfortable shopping environment for customers and ensures that food is stored at the appropriate temperature to maintain its quality.

2. What is the process of using cold air mass flow for supermarket cooling?

The process of using cold air mass flow for supermarket cooling involves several steps. First, the air is cooled and compressed by a refrigeration unit. Then, it is circulated through a series of pipes and ducts to reach different areas of the store. The air is then released through vents and diffusers to evenly distribute the cold air throughout the store. Finally, the air is continuously recirculated to maintain a consistent temperature.

3. What are the benefits of using cold air mass flow for supermarket cooling?

There are several benefits to using cold air mass flow for supermarket cooling. Firstly, it is a more energy-efficient method compared to traditional cooling systems, resulting in lower energy costs. Additionally, it helps to maintain a consistent temperature, which is crucial for keeping perishable items fresh. It also creates a more comfortable shopping environment for customers and helps to extend the shelf life of products.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using cold air mass flow for supermarket cooling?

While there are many advantages to using cold air mass flow for supermarket cooling, there are also some potential disadvantages. One of the main drawbacks is the initial cost of installation, which can be higher compared to traditional cooling systems. Additionally, the system may require more maintenance and repairs, which can also add to the overall cost. However, the long-term energy savings and benefits often outweigh these initial costs.

5. How can cold air mass flow be optimized for efficient supermarket cooling?

There are a few ways to optimize cold air mass flow for efficient supermarket cooling. Firstly, regular maintenance and cleaning of the system is essential to ensure it is functioning properly. Additionally, using energy-efficient components and properly insulating the store can help to reduce energy consumption. It is also important to regularly monitor and adjust the temperature and air flow to ensure it is at the optimal level for both food preservation and energy efficiency.