Register to reply

Boosting the angular momentum vector

by TriTertButoxy
Tags: angular, boosting, momentum, vector
Share this thread:
TriTertButoxy
Jul10-12, 11:27 AM
P: 194
Since the angular momentum vector [itex]\mathbf{J}[/itex] is just a 3-vector, it transforms non-covariantly under Lorentz transformations -- more specifically, boosts generated by [itex]\mathbf{K}[/itex]. Indeed, the commutator reads [itex][J_i,\,K_j]=i\epsilon_{ijk}J_k[/itex].

Under a finite boost, I find the angular momentum vector gets mixed up with the 'boost vector'
[tex]\mathbf{J}\rightarrow\gamma\left[\mathbf{J}-\left(\frac{\gamma}{\gamma+1}(\mathbf{\beta}\cdot \mathbf{J})\mathbf{\beta}-\mathbf{\beta}\times\mathbf{K}\right)\right][/tex]

(c.f. the Lorentz transformation of the electric field). How do I interpret this result? In which direction does the new angular momentum vector point? It depends on the boost vector?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Final pieces to the circadian clock puzzle found
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
How an ancient vertebrate uses familiar tools to build a strange-looking head
Muphrid
Jul10-12, 12:08 PM
P: 834
The problem is that angular momentum is not a vector. It's a bivector.

What precisely is this boost vector you speak of? Edit: you mean the vector along the 3-velocity of the frame we're boosting into?

At any rate, it's much more elegant to consider angular momentum as a bivector. Then, you just get the result,

[tex]{J'}^{cd} = L_a^c L_b^d J^{ab}[/tex]

where [itex]J^{ab} = x^a p^b - p^a x^b[/itex].

Register to reply