How can a Wilson cloud chamber be used to detect ionizing radiation?

In summary: Wilson cloud chamber instead? It is a particle detector used for detecting ionizing radiation and can be easily built with simple materials. A cloud chamber works by creating a supersaturated vapor of water or alcohol, and when a charged particle interacts with it, it ionizes the mixture and creates a trail of mist. This project does not involve the dangers of building a particle accelerator and can still be a challenging and interesting science fair project.
Cjen1
Hi I'm a GCSE student and for a science fair i was hoping to build a linear particle accelerator for a science fair. I have a Cathode Ray Tube from an old tv for my vacuum pump assembly, I would like to accelerate particles with enough kenetic energy so that they can vaporise some water in a water tank creating a trail of bubbles.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Cjen1 said:
Hi I'm a GCSE student and for a science fair i was hoping to build a linear particle accelerator for a science fair. I have a Cathode Ray Tube from an old tv for my vacuum pump assembly, I would like to accelerate particles with enough kenetic energy so that they can vaporise some water in a water tank creating a trail of bubbles.

Thanks.

Welcome to the PF.

We generally don't support folks who want to build their own particle accelerators because it can be quite dangerous. Dealing with the high vacuum takes some skill and experience. And accelerating (and decelerating) charged particles generates radiation, which can be a safety hazard.

I'd encourage you to think of a different project for the science fair. There are lots of challenging ones that don't involve such dangerous aspects.

Cjen1, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Why not build a Wilson cloud chamber? Here is the introduction from the Wikipedia page:

“The cloud chamber, also known as the Wilson chamber, is a particle detector used for detecting ionizing radiation.

In its most basic form, a cloud chamber is a sealed environment containing a supersaturated vapor of water or alcohol. When a charged particle (for example, an alpha or beta particle) interacts with the mixture, it ionizes it. The resulting ions act as condensation nuclei, around which a mist will form (because the mixture is on the point of condensation). The high energies of alpha and beta particles mean that a trail is left, due to many ions being produced along the path of the charged particle.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_chamber

Using Google you can find lots more on cloud chambers, some of which may give you an idea for your science fair project.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

1. What is a linear particle accelerator?

A linear particle accelerator, also known as a linac, is a type of particle accelerator that uses a linear or straight path to accelerate charged particles to high speeds. It is commonly used in research facilities to study the properties and behavior of subatomic particles.

2. How does a linear particle accelerator work?

A linear particle accelerator works by using a series of electric fields to accelerate charged particles, such as electrons, along a straight path. The particles are first injected into the accelerator and then guided through a series of accelerating structures, known as cavities, before being released at high speeds.

3. What is the purpose of a linear particle accelerator?

The main purpose of a linear particle accelerator is to study the properties and behavior of subatomic particles. This includes conducting experiments to test theories and models in particle physics, as well as producing high-energy particles for medical and industrial applications.

4. How is a linear particle accelerator different from other types of particle accelerators?

A linear particle accelerator is different from other types of particle accelerators, such as circular accelerators, in that it uses a linear path instead of a circular path for acceleration. This allows for higher energies to be reached, as well as a more precise control of the particle beam.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear particle accelerators?

Linear particle accelerators have a wide range of real-world applications, including medical treatments such as radiation therapy for cancer treatment, industrial applications such as material analysis and sterilization, and scientific research in fields such as nuclear physics, particle physics, and materials science.