Register to reply

Linear particle accelerator

by Cjen1
Tags: accelerator, linear, particle
Share this thread:
Cjen1
Sep19-12, 03:11 PM
P: 1
Hi i'm a GCSE student and for a science fair i was hoping to build a linear particle accelerator for a science fair. I have a Cathode Ray Tube from an old tv for my vacuum pump assembly, I would like to accelerate particles with enough kenetic energy so that they can vaporise some water in a water tank creating a trail of bubbles.

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
New filter technology uses inert gas to bore holes in high-quality steel
Augmented reality helps in industrial troubleshooting
How wireless technology can dramatically improve ship safety
berkeman
Sep19-12, 03:55 PM
Mentor
P: 41,059
Quote Quote by Cjen1 View Post
Hi i'm a GCSE student and for a science fair i was hoping to build a linear particle accelerator for a science fair. I have a Cathode Ray Tube from an old tv for my vacuum pump assembly, I would like to accelerate particles with enough kenetic energy so that they can vaporise some water in a water tank creating a trail of bubbles.

Thanks.
Welcome to the PF.

We generally don't support folks who want to build their own particle accelerators because it can be quite dangerous. Dealing with the high vacuum takes some skill and experience. And accelerating (and decelerating) charged particles generates radiation, which can be a safety hazard.

I'd encourage you to think of a different project for the science fair. There are lots of challenging ones that don't involve such dangerous aspects.
Bobbywhy
Sep20-12, 02:42 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,908
Cjen1, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Why not build a Wilson cloud chamber? Here is the introduction from the Wikipedia page:

“The cloud chamber, also known as the Wilson chamber, is a particle detector used for detecting ionizing radiation.

In its most basic form, a cloud chamber is a sealed environment containing a supersaturated vapor of water or alcohol. When a charged particle (for example, an alpha or beta particle) interacts with the mixture, it ionizes it. The resulting ions act as condensation nuclei, around which a mist will form (because the mixture is on the point of condensation). The high energies of alpha and beta particles mean that a trail is left, due to many ions being produced along the path of the charged particle.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_chamber

Using Google you can find lots more on cloud chambers, some of which may give you an idea for your science fair project.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Register to reply