Need advice on building a linear particle accelerator

SamuelCunningham3456
I am a freshman in highschool and I plan on building a linear particle accelerator (DTL) I need help finding out how to find the drift tube length. I use the equation V=√(2eV/m) (where V is equal to the velocity. E is the elementary charge of the electron 1.602 x 10^-19. V is the applied voltage. M is the mass of the electron 9.109x10^-31) to find the velocity of the electron coming from the electron gun. ( The attached image is the type of electron gun I have built.) I am using tri clamp stainless steel pipes as the vacuum tube where the drift tubes will be inside.

I have a TAG-101 signal generator witch can produce 1 MHz then ill find a way to plug that into a flyback transformer witch will be made by me because flyback transformers online usually have diodes at the end to suppress the AC. because i'm using high voltage and high frequency i will ground the stainless steel vacuum tube so it can act like a faraday cage to reduce potential electromagnetic radiation. I am aware of the dangers this project has i know it can produce Ionizing radiation when engaged

That's what i'm doing i would love to here how i can improve this and if some of yall can help me find the drift tube length.
6mzbV.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread paused for a bit for Moderation...

After a Mentor discussion, this thread will remain closed.

The issue is that it is very difficult to build a particle accelerator and do it safely. There are issues with X-rays and vacuum safety and high voltage safety that cannot be properly addressed in a discussion forum like PF.

@SamuelCunningham3456 -- it is good that you are so curious and motivated to learn more about science and experimental apparatus. Please be sure to find a very experienced and skilled personal Mentor there were you live to help you with whatever projects you want to build. You might consider building a cloud chamber instead or do Millikan's oil drop experiment, since those involve fewer safety issues.

Please be safe, and enjoy your pursuit of science. :smile:

Likes SamuelCunningham3456