Circuit Analysis of driven RC Circuit with short circuits

In summary, the question asks to determine the value of the current (i) and voltage (v) at three different times in a source-free RC circuit. The solution involves using Ohm's law and the decay equation for a source-free RC circuit to calculate the voltage across a 200 ohm resistor and a capacitor. The confusion arises in whether the 200 ohm resistor should be included in the RC circuit and if the circuit is source-free. It is theoretically possible for a current through a resistor to change immediately, but real resistors will have some capacitive or inductive characteristics.
i82muchpi

Homework Statement

Determine the value of the current labeled i and the voltage labeled v at t=0+, t= 1.5 ms, and t = 3.0 ms.

XUiSu.jpg

Homework Equations

Ohm's law: v = i *r
Decay in source free RC Circuit v(t) = v@0 * e^(-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

i(0-) = 0.1 A.
Therefore,
v across 200 ohm = 200* 0.1 = 20 V
Since no current flows through capacitor with constant dc current,
v across capacitor = 20 V @ t < 0

v across capacitor cannot change immediately as it would require infinite power so v across capacitor @ t = 0 = 20 V

Here's where the confusion is: Should I include the 200 ohm resistor in my RC circuit? Why or why not? Also, will my circuit be a source free RC circuit?

Also, what will be the current i through the 200 ohm resistor when t>0?

My last question is a theoretical one: Can a current through a resistor change immediately at one instant of time?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
200Ω in parallel with a short circuit (0Ω) is 0Ω (a short circuit).

Theoretically, an ideal resistor can experience an immediate change of voltage across it or current through it. However, all real resistors will have tiny capacitive/inductive characteristics.

1. How does a short circuit affect the behavior of a driven RC circuit?

A short circuit in a driven RC circuit can significantly alter the behavior of the circuit by creating a low-impedance path for current to flow. This means that the current will flow through the short circuit instead of through the RC components, causing the voltage across the components to drop and potentially disrupting the circuit's functionality.

2. Can a short circuit damage the components in a driven RC circuit?

Yes, a short circuit can damage the components in a driven RC circuit by causing them to overheat due to excessive current flow. This can lead to permanent damage or even failure of the components.

3. How can I prevent short circuits in a driven RC circuit?

To prevent short circuits, it is important to carefully design and construct the circuit, ensuring that all connections are secure and there are no loose wires or components. Additionally, using appropriate safety measures such as fuses or circuit breakers can help prevent short circuits from causing damage.

4. How do I analyze the behavior of a driven RC circuit with a short circuit?

To analyze the behavior of a driven RC circuit with a short circuit, you will need to use a combination of circuit analysis techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. You will also need to consider the effects of the short circuit on the circuit's overall behavior and adjust your analysis accordingly.

5. Is there any benefit to using a short circuit in a driven RC circuit?

In general, there are no benefits to intentionally using a short circuit in a driven RC circuit. However, in some cases, a short circuit may be used as a temporary troubleshooting measure to isolate faulty components or to test the circuit's response to a sudden change in current flow.