Register to reply

Circuit Analysis of driven RC Circuit with short circuits

Share this thread:
i82muchpi
Oct22-12, 11:10 AM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Determine the value of the current labeled i and the voltage labeled v at t=0+, t= 1.5 ms, and t = 3.0 ms.

2. Relevant equations
Ohm's law: v = i *r
Decay in source free RC Circuit v(t) = v@0 * e^(-t/RC)

3. The attempt at a solution
i(0-) = 0.1 A.
Therefore,
v across 200 ohm = 200* 0.1 = 20 V
Since no current flows through capacitor with constant dc current,
v across capacitor = 20 V @ t < 0

v across capacitor cannot change immediately as it would require infinite power so v across capacitor @ t = 0 = 20 V

Here's where the confusion is: Should I include the 200 ohm resistor in my RC circuit? Why or why not? Also, will my circuit be a source free RC circuit?

Also, what will be the current i through the 200 ohm resistor when t>0?

My last question is a theoretical one: Can a current through a resistor change immediately at one instant of time?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
lewando
Oct22-12, 11:23 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,053
200Ω in parallel with a short circuit (0Ω) is 0Ω (a short circuit).

Theoretically, an ideal resistor can experience an immediate change of voltage across it or current through it. However, all real resistors will have tiny capacitive/inductive characteristics.

Register to reply