Find di(0+)/dt and dv(0+)/dt of circuit containing resistor, inductor

In summary, the conversation discusses a practice problem involving a second order circuit and finding the first derivative at t=0+. The inductor and capacitor equations are mentioned and it is noted that the second derivative of i may not be necessary to solve the problem. The conversation concludes by stating that the given answer can be found by considering the sudden voltage difference at t=0.
Xhendos
Homework Statement
Find di(0+)/dt and dv(0+)/dt of circuit containing resistor, inductor and capacitor
Relevant Equations
I = C dv/dt
V = L di/dt
Dear PF,

I am trying to solve practice problem 8.1 and I am stuck on part b which asks us to find di(0+)/dt and dv(0+)/dt.
2021-01-22-160234_1111x442_scrot.png

Down below in the picture is my attempt. Before t=0 it is quite intuitive since the inductor acts as short circuit to steady-state DC and a capacitor acts as open circuit to steady-state DC. However, after the switch is closed the circuit got the inductor and a capacitor in series with a 2 ohm resistor. It is very likely that the formules I = C dv/dt and V = L di/dt have to be used but I don't quite know how since the 3.5A current from the inductor wil be spread, a part will go through the 2 ohm resistor and a part will go through the capacitor and I am not quite sure how to analyse this.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to find dv(0+)/dt and di(0+)/dt when the switch just opens?WhatsApp Image 2021-01-22 at 16.04.14.jpeg

[Mentor Note -- Adding improved contrast version of the diagram]

Dark01.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a second order system on your hands. What do you get for ##d^2i\over dt^2## ?
Note: pay attention to the signs !

BvU said:
You have a second order system on your hands. What do you get for ##d^2i\over dt^2## ?
Note: pay attention to the signs !
To be honest, I do not know. Second order circuits will be covered in the next few chapters. Practice problem 8.1 is asked right after Example 8.1, and in Example 8.1 there is also a second-order circuit but the question only asked for the first derivative right after at t=0+.
The style of this book is that the practice problem is being solved similar to the example problem, so I guess we do not need to know the second derivative of i as of now since there must be a way to solve this question without calculating the second derivative.

2021-01-22-191928_536x705_scrot.png

Xhendos said:
we do not need to know the second derivative of i as of now since there must be a way to solve this question without calculating the second derivative
Fair enough. Although it's not very complicated: $$ V = L {di\over dt} \ \ i = C {dV\over dt} \ \ \Rightarrow i = LC\, {d^2i \over dt^2} $$-- but I grant you that it may not be very useful here.

More useful ##-## and in the spirit of the exercise and example ##-## is that for ##t=0## the inductor suddenly sees a voltage difference of 35 V, which should be equal to ##L {di\over dt} ## so the given answer follows immediately.

Similarly, the inductor counteracts any change in the voltage drop over it (fo a very short tine), so answer d) is 0.

Likes Xhendos

1. What is di(0+)/dt?

di(0+)/dt refers to the rate of change of current in a circuit at time t=0. It is often denoted as i'(0) or d/dt(i(t)) and is measured in amperes per second (A/s).

2. What is dv(0+)/dt?

dv(0+)/dt refers to the rate of change of voltage in a circuit at time t=0. It is often denoted as v'(0) or d/dt(v(t)) and is measured in volts per second (V/s).

3. How is di(0+)/dt calculated in a circuit with a resistor and inductor?

In a circuit with a resistor and inductor, di(0+)/dt can be calculated using the formula di(0+)/dt = -R/L * i(0), where R is the resistance in ohms and L is the inductance in henrys. This formula is derived from the differential equation for an RL circuit.

4. How is dv(0+)/dt calculated in a circuit with a resistor and inductor?

In a circuit with a resistor and inductor, dv(0+)/dt can be calculated using the formula dv(0+)/dt = -L/R * v(0), where R is the resistance in ohms and L is the inductance in henrys. This formula is also derived from the differential equation for an RL circuit.

5. Why is it important to know the values of di(0+)/dt and dv(0+)/dt in a circuit?

Knowing the values of di(0+)/dt and dv(0+)/dt in a circuit can help us understand how the circuit behaves and how it responds to changes in current and voltage. This information is crucial in designing and analyzing circuits, especially in applications where the rate of change of current and voltage is important, such as in power systems and electronic devices.