Register to reply

Trend in IT Job Ads?

by darkchild
Tags: job advertisements, jobs, work
Share this thread:
darkchild
Oct23-12, 05:07 PM
P: 150
Has anyone else noticed that advertisements for IT positions emphasize skills and traits relating to "team work," "enthusiasm," "customer-focused" attitudes, "energetic" personality, being "fun to work with," "excellent interpersonal skills," and the like, moreso than they used to, and even in jobs that don't require much interpersonal contact?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Evo
Oct23-12, 05:12 PM
Mentor
P: 26,460
Quote Quote by darkchild View Post
Has anyone else noticed that advertisements for IT positions emphasize skills and traits relating to "team work," "enthusiasm," "customer-focused" attitudes, "energetic" personality, being "fun to work with," "excellent interpersonal skills," and the like, moreso than they used to, and even in jobs that don't require much interpersonal contact?
That's to make it seem exciting. These vocational schools are popping up everywhere and fighting for people to spend their money with them.
Greg Bernhardt
Oct25-12, 06:17 PM
Admin
P: 9,314
Tech jobs markets are getting saturated. Everyone and their cousin is getting a tech degree. Employers are looking for things that set them apart. Usually that is soft skills.

AlephZero
Nov16-12, 04:35 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,953
Trend in IT Job Ads?

Quote Quote by darkchild View Post
... and even in jobs that don't require much interpersonal contact?
There aren't any of those jobs any more. Pretty muich everything in IT these days is either team work, and/or involves interacting with users.

The idea of "solitary genius" programmers working completely on their own went out of fashion about 30 years ago, and it wasn't very common even back then.
darkchild
Nov16-12, 04:55 PM
P: 150
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
There aren't any of those jobs any more. Pretty muich everything in IT these days is either team work, and/or involves interacting with users.

The idea of "solitary genius" programmers working completely on their own went out of fashion about 30 years ago, and it wasn't very common even back then.
I didn't say "jobs that require no interpersonal contact at all." I know those don't exist. I said jobs that don't require much. There's desktop support, then there's QA, for example.

Register to reply