Register to reply

My Attempt At Re-entry Temp. Calculation

by Vodkacannon
Tags: attempt, calculation, reentry, temp
Share this thread:
Vodkacannon
Jan21-13, 10:40 PM
P: 39
I wanted to figure out the temperature(t2) of any object based on things such as its specific heat capacity, re-entry speed, etc.

Work: W = Fy

Force by Air: FD = 1/2pv2CDA

Energy-temperature relationship: Q = mc(t2 - t1)

Setting things equal & solving for t2 gives:

t2 = (1/2pv2CDAy+mct1) / mc

(I'm sorry I could not get latex to format all of the formulas correctly so I formatted none of them...)

So, how accurate is this equation in describing temperature gain through freefall back down to earth?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Ryoko
Jan21-13, 11:59 PM
P: 102
I'm going to take a guess and say you get an estimate by finding the dynamic pressure (q = 0.5 * density * velocity^2) and solving for the adiabatic heating due to the pressure rise. This doesn't take any skin friction into account however.

Register to reply