Heat in a const. pressure/volume calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of two constant processes, constant pressure and constant volume, to calculate heat in a closed system. Two simple examples are given, a teapot for the constant pressure case and a shower water heater for the constant volume case. Two calculation methods are used for each case, one using q=Cp(T2-T1) and the other using q=(u2-u1). It is noted that for the constant pressure case, the q=(u2-u1) method gives a more accurate result, while for the constant volume case, the q=Cv(T2-T1) method gives a better result than the q=(u2-u1) method. However, there are discrepancies in the values for Cp
Chestermiller said:
Are you saying you can’t have liquid water at 100 C?
No! That's not what I'm saying. Unless you did'nt notice, the A-2 table is related to 300 deg K!

Engineering news on Phys.org
PeterDonis said:
He said 300 K, which is about 27 C. I assume he's looking at saturation pressure values and mistaking the vapor one for the liquid one.
Please refer to A-2 table (I've attached above), and explain what for Cp & Cv values stand? The title is odd, its for ideal gases @ 300 deg K (27 deg C). Water at this temp. are not vapor but liquid, unless you assume pressure is lower than atm. pressure.

PeterDonis said:
He said 300 K, which is about 27 C. I assume he's looking at saturation pressure values and mistaking the vapor one for the liquid one.
Oops. Sorry that was a typo on my part. I meant 300 K. But, even at 100 C (373 K) liquid water could, of course, still exist. But anyhow, what I am saying is that the value in the table from Moran et al, Introduction to Engineering Thermodynamics that the OP presented is for water vapor, not liquid water.

guideonl said:
Please refer to A-2 table (I've attached above), and explain what for Cp & Cv values stand? The title is odd, its for ideal gases @ 300 deg K (27 deg C). Water at this temp. are not vapor but liquid, unless you assume pressure is lower than atm. pressure.
You most certainly can have water as vapor or liquid at 300K. You are dealing with liquid water and your table is for vapor, so clearly you are using the wrong table.

[edit] Look at table A-3 or A-4.

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller
russ_watters said:
You most certainly can have water as vapor or liquid at 300C

300 K, not 300 C. Your statement is still true at 300 K, of course.

PeterDonis said:
300 K, not 300 C. Your statement is still true at 300 K, of course.
Yep, fixed.