by Dorslek
Tags: absolute, confused, mole, ratio, relative
Share this thread:
Dorslek
Mar1-13, 11:23 AM
P: 14
Let's start with a generalized example:

3A + 1B -> 2C

For the mole amount next to each molecule, am I always to consider these as relative to one another or absolute? Most of the videos I have seen are describing the above as "for every 3 moles of A and 1 mole of B you get 2 moles of C". I believed at some point that these numbers were absolute however, after reading up on equilibrium I discovered that I was incorrect.

So for a reaction such as this:

I have a ratio of 2:1:3. If I used up 0.8 moles of the nitrogen, I read that I would use the ratio to discover that I would produce 0.4 moles of nitrogen and 1.2 moles of hydrogen. Would anyone care to explain this to me?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists modify antibiotic to vanquish resistant bacteria
Abnormal properties of cancer protein revealed in fly eyes
Rooting out horse-meat fraud in the wake of a recent food scandal
aroc91
Mar1-13, 06:41 PM
P: 166
Quote Quote by Dorslek View Post
If I used up 0.8 moles of the nitrogen, I read that I would use the ratio to discover that I would produce 0.4 moles of nitrogen and 1.2 moles of hydrogen.
Correct. A molar ratio is just that, a ratio. It's a ratio in the same way that 1:2 is the same as 0.5:1 or 2:4. Just because the reaction says 2NH3 doesn't mean you have to use 2 moles.
morrobay
Mar7-13, 10:37 PM
P: 382
.8NH3 x 1N2/2NH3= .4N2
.8NH3 x 3H2/2NH3= 1.2H2

Register to reply