Concept of Absolute Thermodynamic Activity

In summary, the author of the textbook claims that absolute activity allows for the definition of chemical potential without reference to the standard state, as shown in equation 1. However, this concept does not align with the definition of activity in thermodynamics, which is defined as a relative quantity. This discrepancy raises questions about the derivation of equation 1 and its significance in the context of thermodynamics.
Dario56
In the textbook Electrochemical Systems by Newman and Alyea, Chapter 14: The definition of some thermodynamic functions, chemical potential of component (ionic or neutral) is written as a function of absolute activity: $$\mu_i=RT\ln(\lambda_i)\tag1$$

where ##\lambda_i## is the absolute activity of the component ##i##. This equation is referenced to the Guggenheim: Thermodynamics textbook. I checked this textbook, but it didn't really resolve my questions.

Author claims that absolute activity allows us to define chemical potential without reference to the standard state, as it can be seen by the equation 1. This means that absolute activity is independent on the choice of the standard state.

What I know from thermodynamics is that activity is defined as a quantity which allows us to express chemical potential for real systems in the same mathematical form as for ideal systems. Chemical potential for real systems is logarithmic function of activity as it is a logarithmic function of pressure, mole fraction, concentration etc. for ideal systems.

In the most general form, activity is defined as: $$a_i = \frac {f_i}{f_i^⦵} \tag {2}$$

where ##f_i## is the fugacity of the component in the system and ##f_i^⦵## is the standard state fugacity of the component.

Definition of activity is fundamentally tied to the chemical potential and its definition equation can also be written as: $$ \mu_i = \mu_i^⦵ + RTln \frac {f_i}{f_i^⦵} = \mu_i = \mu_i^⦵ + RTln(a_i) \tag {3} $$

My question is:

Concept of absolute activity doesn't make sense to me. Activity by definition expresses how much is a component thermodynamically active RELATIVE to the standard state. This is why equation 2 is written as a ratio and why in equation 3, standard state chemical potential ##\mu_i^⦵## shows up.

Given that, I don't understand equation 1 and where is it derived from as we can see a difference comparing equations 1 and 3.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Dario56 said:
In the textbook Electrochemical Systems by Newman and Alyea, Chapter 14: The definition of some thermodynamic functions, chemical potential of component (ionic or neutral) is written as a function of absolute activity: $$\mu_i=RT\ln(\lambda_i)\tag1$$

where ##\lambda_i## is the absolute activity of the component ##i##. This equation is referenced to the Guggenheim: Thermodynamics textbook. I checked this textbook, but it didn't really resolve my questions.

Author claims that absolute activity allows us to define chemical potential without reference to the standard state, as it can be seen by the equation 1. This means that absolute activity is independent on the choice of the standard state.

What I know from thermodynamics is that activity is defined as a quantity which allows us to express chemical potential for real systems in the same mathematical form as for ideal systems. Chemical potential for real systems is logarithmic function of activity as it is a logarithmic function of pressure, mole fraction, concentration etc. for ideal systems.

In the most general form, activity is defined as: $$a_i = \frac {f_i}{f_i^⦵} \tag {2}$$

where ##f_i## is the fugacity of the component in the system and ##f_i^⦵## is the standard state fugacity of the component.

Definition of activity is fundamentally tied to the chemical potential and its definition equation can also be written as: $$ \mu_i = \mu_i^⦵ + RTln \frac {f_i}{f_i^⦵} = \mu_i = \mu_i^⦵ + RTln(a_i) \tag {3} $$

My question is:

Concept of absolute activity doesn't make sense to me. Activity by definition expresses how much is a component thermodynamically active RELATIVE to the standard state. This is why equation 2 is written as a ratio and why in equation 3, standard state chemical potential ##\mu_i^⦵## shows up.

Given that, I don't understand equation 1 and where is it derived from as we can see a difference comparing equations 1 and 3.
I agree with your assessment.

What is the concept of absolute thermodynamic activity?

The concept of absolute thermodynamic activity, often referred to simply as activity, is a measure of the effective concentration of a species in a mixture as influenced by interactions among molecules in a non-ideal system. It quantifies how the presence of other molecules affects the behavior of a particular species compared to its behavior in an ideal state where no interactions occur.

How is activity different from concentration?

While concentration is a straightforward measure of the amount of a substance per unit volume, activity considers the real behavior of molecules, accounting for interactions such as attraction and repulsion in a solution. Activity is essentially the 'effective' concentration used in thermodynamic calculations to predict properties like equilibrium and reaction rates in non-ideal systems.

What is the role of activity coefficients in thermodynamics?

Activity coefficients are factors used to adjust the concentration of species in a solution to reflect the non-ideal behavior due to molecular interactions. They provide a bridge between the ideal, predicted behaviors and the actual behaviors observed in experimental conditions. The activity of a substance is the product of its concentration and its activity coefficient.

How do you measure the activity of a substance?

Measuring the activity directly is challenging and often done indirectly by calculating it from experimental data using models of activity coefficients. Common methods include electrochemical techniques such as potentiometry, where changes in electrical potential are related to activity changes, and spectroscopic methods for more complex mixtures.

Why is understanding activity important in chemical engineering and thermodynamics?

Understanding activity is crucial in designing and optimizing chemical processes where reactions and separations occur in non-ideal conditions. Accurate activity data allow engineers and scientists to predict how substances will behave under different conditions, which is essential for scaling up laboratory findings to industrial applications, ensuring safety, efficiency, and economic viability.