Register to reply

Medical physics and medicine

by |mathematix|
Tags: medical, medicine, physics
Share this thread:
|mathematix|
Apr24-13, 01:48 AM
P: 48
Do doctors (people who did medicine at university, be it MBBS or MD) get to collaborate with medical physicists and medical engineers to design, research and develop medical equipment and machines? Or is this the job of medical scientists and doctors only get to use the equipment?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Extreme weather kills 2,000 in U.S. each year: CDC
Greater weight gain after early adenotonsillectomy for OSA
Guidelines issued for medical management of kidney stones
Greg Bernhardt
Apr26-13, 10:13 AM
Admin
P: 9,334
The term "doctor" is extremely ambiguous. More times than not medical scientists are doctors. Are you asking if general practitioners (family medical doctors) play important roles in medical device development, i'd guess not very much. It's like asking if an auto shop mechanic plays an important role in designing a new engine.
mazinse
May15-13, 06:07 PM
P: 190
in the US, medical physicists are only for treatment, they dont design the equipments, the engineers do, which they dont really need to collaborate because the doctors arent the ones using the equipments, the technicians do.

daveb
May23-13, 03:31 PM
P: 926
Medical physics and medicine

I beg to differ. At my company we have had to collaborate with both radiation oncologists in order to design a treatment planning system but also medical physicists and technicians in order to design a user friendly and streamlined workflow. In addition, we have 3 medical physicists on staff to help with designing QA tools necessary for performing quality assurance on the device (FYI, our device is a real time MRI for IGRT). Granted, the majority of work is done by the engineers, but there is room for doctors and MPs (several sit on both our Clinical Advisory Board and Scientific Advisory Board - our founder is an AMP).

Register to reply