Is it normal to have major swings in confidence throughout the day?

by Jamin2112
Tags: confidence, major, normal, swings
Jamin2112
May8-13, 02:10 PM
P: 860
I go through major swings of confidence throughout the day. If I get a compliment from someone or some other kind of validation, I'll feel on top of the world, and then some really small disappointment can sink that confidence into almost depression and a feeling of worthlessness.

For example, today I submitted an application for a job that had an "optional challenge problem" I ended up solved this morning. I felt amazing and optimistic. Then, when I got out of the shower, looked in the mirror and was reminded about my receding and thinning hairline, I got into a depressive phase that I'm still in. I'm guessing that'll soon change in a split-second at some time later today.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Chronic inflammation linked to 'high-grade' prostate cancer
Impact of childhood bullying still evident after 40 years
Is UK shale gas extraction posing a risk to public health?
pongo38
May8-13, 05:00 PM
P: 692
Does your question depend on what you mean by "normal"; and does it matter, really?
Ryan_m_b
May9-13, 08:05 AM
Mentor
P: 5,341
Quote Quote by pongo38 View Post
Does your question depend on what you mean by "normal"; and does it matter, really?
Of course it matters if it is causing you upset and interfering with your life. Jamin2112 it's not possible to tell with such little information (and obviously we can't diagnose) but if you have been suffering from radical mood swings for a long time it's something worth speaking to a doctor about. Particularly if the down moments are truly depressive (I.e. characterised by despair, no confidence, lack of energy etc) rather than simply unhappy.

Greg Bernhardt
May9-13, 09:23 AM
Admin
P: 8,534

Is it normal to have major swings in confidence throughout the day?

I would speak to a doctor if it's something that concerns you. I know I get wild swings by listening to different music. I can be a little down, but if I hop in my car and put on a hot dance track I start feeling good and mentally start "fist pumping".
lisab
May9-13, 09:24 AM
Mentor
P: 2,914
I agree with Ryan and Greg, it's best to check with a medical professional.

In my own experience: in the times in my life when I'm feeling 'fragile' due to stress, I will experience what you describe. But when I'm coping well with life, my confidence is more robust.

So for me, the root issue is not the swings, it's how I'm coping with stress.

Register to reply