Exponential Binning: Plotting Data with f(x) = x^α

• Thread starter atillaqurd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of exponential binning for plotting data that follows a power law. However, it is advised to use logarithmic binning and to divide the y-data by the bin width to accurately measure the exponent. Maximum likelihood fits are also recommended for estimating power laws from data.
atillaqurd
Hi,

I need to find out how to plot my data with exponential binning.
To better see the exponent of f(x) = x ^ \alpha, where x and f(x) are given, I am asked to do exponential binning the data.

Would appreciate you help.

Yours
Atilla

Physics news on Phys.org
Use semilog graph paper.

It seems the OP hasn't replied, but there are some important issues that need to be addressed here, so I will comment on them for any future posters who stumble across this thread.

If you are generating histograms of something which you expect to follow a power law ##y(x) \sim x^\alpha##, you need to use logarithmic binning, not exponential binning.

That is, you want your bins to be equally spaced on a log scale, which means you want the edge of the $k$th bin, B(k), to be given by

$$\log_{10}(B(k)) = m \log_{10} (k) + c,$$
where m is the slope and c is the intercept, which are determined by your bin range and your number of bins. For example, if you want 10 bins between 10-6 and 100, then ##B(0) = 10^{-6}## and ##B(10) = 10^0##, and you can solve for m and c.

Now, this next point is extremely important: when using logarithmic binning, you must divide your y-data by the width of the bin. If you do not do this, the power of ##x^\alpha## that you measure will be wrong.

Furthermore, when estimating power laws from data, if you need anything more than a rough estimate, a linear regression is a terrible way to find the exponent. It is very prone to systematic errors. Maximum likelihood fits are a much better method. See this preprint for a discussion of properly calculating power laws from data (as well as using hypothesis testing to see if you can rule out other behaviors like log-normal distributions).

Thanks indeed!

What is Exponential Binning?

Exponential binning is a method of plotting data using a function of the form f(x) = x^α, where α is a constant. This type of binning is useful for visualizing data that follows an exponential pattern.

How do I determine the value of α for my data?

The value of α can be determined by analyzing the trend in the data. If the data shows a steep increase or decrease, α will be a large positive or negative number respectively. If the data shows a gradual increase or decrease, α will be a small positive or negative number respectively.

Can I use any value of α for exponential binning?

Yes, any real number can be used for α in exponential binning. However, it is important to choose a value that accurately reflects the trend in the data.

What are the advantages of using exponential binning?

Exponential binning allows for a more accurate representation of data that follows an exponential pattern. It also helps to better visualize the relationship between variables.

Are there any limitations to using exponential binning?

Exponential binning may not be suitable for data that does not follow an exponential pattern. It also may not be suitable for data with a wide range of values, as it can result in a distorted plot.