Register to reply

If you became brain-dead, would you want them to pull the plug?

by Jamin2112
Tags: braindead, plug, pull
Share this thread:
Jamin2112
May17-13, 10:17 AM
P: 909
I'd want the rest of me to stay alive. Sure it's a lousy way to live but it beats being all-the-way dead.

Maybe if I make it 20 years they'll figure out how to fix dead brains and revive me.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Viral therapy could boost limb-saving cancer treatment
Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus detected in the air of a Saudi Arabian camel barn
Schizophrenia's genetic 'skyline' rising: Suspect common variants soar from 30 to 108
Greg Bernhardt
May17-13, 10:26 AM
Admin
P: 9,053
Have you considered the massive burden you place on your loved ones? You might have just as much chance as if they freeze you. At least then your family can move on.
aquitaine
May17-13, 10:30 AM
P: 200
I understand why someone else would want to have the plug pulled, but not I. There's a number of revolutionary treatments in the pipeline, from stem cells to neuroprosthetics. As long as I'm alive I have a chance at it.

Jamin2112
May17-13, 10:41 AM
If you became brain-dead, would you want them to pull the plug?

Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Have you considered the massive burden you place on your loved ones? You might have just as much chance as if they freeze you. At least then your family can move on.
I'd be paying for this myself. It's in my will that if my brain dies then all the money in my bank account will go towards keeping my body alive. At the very least I'll become the longest-living person in history.
Greg Bernhardt
May17-13, 10:49 AM
Admin
Quote Quote by Jamin2112 View Post
I'd be paying for this myself. It's in my will that if my brain dies then all the money in my bank account will go towards keeping my body alive. At the very least I'll become the longest-living person in history.
You must be very very well off then. However, I was thinking more of the emotional burden.
turbo
May17-13, 11:30 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Pull the plug! No rational thought, no cognition, no understanding, no emotion... I would much rather be dead.
jim hardy
May17-13, 11:36 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,496
...... if my brain dies then all the money in my bank account will go towards keeping my body alive. .....
No way, man - I'm taking mine with me.
SW VandeCarr
May17-13, 12:33 PM
P: 2,499
I'd want the rest of me to stay alive. Sure it's a lousy way to live but it beats being all-the-way dead.

Maybe if I make it 20 years they'll figure out how to fix dead brains and revive me.
I doubt it. Your brain is you despite what a certain TV neuroscientist says. If it's dead, you're dead. If it's another organ failure, there might be a chance if real preservation technology existed. But it doesn't and I think it will be much longer than 20 years. Besides, there are enormous social consequences to such immortality. Think about it. The old folks hang around forever and don't leave room for the younger generations (who also want to live forever). Anyway, since we probably can't make new brains without making new identities, the whole idea falls apart. Your brain will eventually die and with it, you will die.
jim hardy
May17-13, 02:42 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 3,496
Fred Hoyle once posed the question:
(this is from memory so not verbatim)

'Suppose you had a microscope and forceps small enough you could build a replica of yourself atom by atom, duplicating every detail right down to the spin on every single electron.
When you finally set the last atom in place, would your creation sit up and talk to you? Would it share you memories? "

So it becomes a philosophical , or at least metaphysical question.

My advice is: avoid bungee jumping, fast motorcycles and sharks.
Jamin2112
May17-13, 02:53 PM
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Pull the plug! No rational thought, no cognition, no understanding, no emotion... I would much rather be dead.
Why? You can still do a lot of things without your brain. This baby doesn't even have a brain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMlVNFpzKNI. Given the choice of living just by reflexes and not living at all, I'd choose living by reflexes.
berkeman
May17-13, 04:53 PM
Mentor
P: 40,628
If you are just brain dead, your organs can be harvested to help save several other lives. It's totally unreasonable to believe that you can be revived after brain death. Pull the plug.
Greg Bernhardt
May17-13, 05:12 PM
Admin
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
your organs can be harvested to help save several other lives.
That's a very good point! One that really puts the question more in perspective.
mazinse
May17-13, 07:01 PM
P: 190
Quote Quote by SW VandeCarr View Post
I doubt it. Your brain is you despite what a certain TV neuroscientist says. If it's dead, you're dead. If it's another organ failure, there might be a chance if real preservation technology existed. But it doesn't and I think it will be much longer than 20 years. Besides, there are enormous social consequences to such immortality. Think about it. The old folks hang around forever and don't leave room for the younger generations (who also want to live forever). Anyway, since we probably can't make new brains without making new identities, the whole idea falls apart. Your brain will eventually die and with it, you will die.
yeah i think the op's question needs to be more specific. maybe he means comatose or some vegetated state
russ_watters
May17-13, 07:14 PM
Mentor
P: 22,211
Quote Quote by SW VandeCarr View Post
I doubt it. Your brain is you despite what a certain TV neuroscientist says. If it's dead, you're dead. If it's another organ failure, there might be a chance if real preservation technology existed. But it doesn't and I think it will be much longer than 20 years.
Agreed. Since the brain stores information about who you are, destroying it destroys who you are. You might be able to one-day regenerate it or swap it out with a new one, but the information about who you are isn't coming back.

Pull the plug! But make sure you harvest my organs first!
turbo
May17-13, 07:22 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Agreed. but the information about who you are isn't coming back.

Pull the plug! But make sure you harvest my organs first!
Amen! I am signed up as an organ donor. I have lungs, heart, kidneys, liver, etc, etc that might save the lives of others who need them. I don't mind dying, but I don't want to go to waste if others could live.
OCR
May17-13, 08:24 PM
P: 124
Quote Quote by mazinse View Post
maybe he means comatose or some vegetated state
Ya' think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked-in_syndrome

OCR
OCR
May17-13, 09:02 PM
P: 124
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
I would much rather be dead.
Lol... I always thought the defining aspects of dead, were....

No rational thought, no cognition, no understanding, no emotion...

OCR
lisab
May17-13, 09:14 PM
Mentor
P: 2,970
Pull the plug on me too.

This is all temporary. Just keep that in mind, every day you live. Carpe diem!

Register to reply