Magnetic Force Formula

by ccflyer
Tags: force, formula, magnetic
ccflyer
May18-05, 10:19 PM
P: 6
Hi everyone, I am trying to learn about electromagnets for a project I am working on and I need to know how much magnetic force (in Teslas) that I would need to lift a given weight. Would anyone be able to point out a formula that I would be able to use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-ccflyer
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
HallsofIvy
May19-05, 09:21 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,882
First, a Tesla is NOT a unit of magnetic force- it is a unit of magnetic flux density- the flux density that will result in a 1 Newton force acting on a one coulomb charge moving at one meter per second perpendicular to the magnetic flux direction.

So no one can tell you "how many Teslas" you need to lift a given weight- it depends on much more than weight. Of course, you would start by expressing your weight in Newtons- that's the force you need. Now you would need to figure in the magnetic properties of the material you are lifting- that's going to be the hard part. The same magnetic field will result in different forces on different kinds of metals.
ccflyer
May19-05, 10:22 PM
P: 6
alright, I get what you are saying, and I guess that makes sense, but would you be able to point me in the direction of a formula?

Pyrrhus
May19-05, 10:31 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,280

Magnetic Force Formula

Well magnetic force is defined as

[tex] \vec{F}_{b} = q \vec{v} \times \vec{B} [/tex]

where q is the charge, B is the magnetic field, and v is the velocity of the charge.
dextercioby
May19-05, 11:11 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,863
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy
First, a Tesla is NOT a unit of magnetic force- it is a unit of magnetic flux density- the flux density that will result in a 1 Newton force acting on a one coulomb charge moving at one meter per second perpendicular to the magnetic flux direction.

So no one can tell you "how many Teslas" you need to lift a given weight- it depends on much more than weight. Of course, you would start by expressing your weight in Newtons- that's the force you need. Now you would need to figure in the magnetic properties of the material you are lifting- that's going to be the hard part. The same magnetic field will result in different forces on different kinds of metals.

No,no,big confusion.The Tesla (apud Nicolo Tesla) is a unit for MAGNETIC FIELD INDUCTION,commonly noted by [itex] \vec{B} [/itex],which is a pseudovector.

See post #7.

Daniel.
HallsofIvy
May20-05, 05:16 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,882
This is what I found at http://www.answers.com/topic/tesla
"The unit of magnetic flux density in the International System of Units, equal to the magnitude of the magnetic field vector necessary to produce a force of one newton on a charge of one coulomb moving perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field vector with a velocity of one meter per second. It is equivalent to one weber per square meter. "
dextercioby
May20-05, 07:44 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,863
It's not called "magnetic flux density",but "magnetic induction".

[tex] \Phi_{mag}=:\iint_{S} \vec{B}\cdot d\vec{S} [/tex]

,so indeed the magnetic induction is the magnetic flux density.But the first name is the correct SI one.

Daniel.

Register to reply