Is the magnetic flux density B constant?

In summary: Is this acceptable?In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether the magnetic flux density B or the magnetic flux Φ are constant in a magnetic circuit with varying cross section areas and air gaps. The speaker is looking for insights and calculations to determine the magnetic force generated by the circuit. They mention using the saturation flux density (Bsat=2.13) to jumpstart their calculations but are unsure how to proceed. The conversation also includes a discussion on the core dimensions and the suggestion that the smallest cross section should not reach the saturation point.
J Silva
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown.
Summary:: Is the magnetic flux density B constant? Is the magnetic flux constant?

I am working on a project design for Uni and I am stuck.

In a magnetic circuit is either the magnetic flux or the magnetic flux density B constant? This magnetic circuit has all different cross section areas and air gaps.

I need to calculate the Magnetic Force generated by the circuit and also N*i= Φ1 * R1 + ... (N beeing nº of spirals in a coil and R the reluctance).

I am stuck in a loop because I think neither B nor Φ are constant.
I was told to use saturation flux density (Bsat=2.13) of the material to jump start the calculations, but I am stuck on the question at hand.

Any insight would be appreciated and sorry for the lack of understanding in electromagnetism.

Physics news on Phys.org
Duplicate thread merged into the original thread -- Please do not start multiple threads on the same question
I am working on a project design for Uni and I am stuck.

In a magnetic circuit is either the magnetic flux or the magnetic flux density B constant? This magnetic circuit has all different cross section areas and air gaps. I need to calculate the Magnetic Force generated by the circuit and also N*i= Φ1 * R1 + ... (N beeing nº of spirals in a coil and R the reluctance). I am stuck in a loop because I think neither B nor Φ are constant.

I was told to use saturation flux density (Bsat=2.13) of the material to jump start the calculations, but I am stuck on the question at hand. Any insight would be appreciated and sorry for the lack of understanding in electromagnetism.

This circuit is for an eletromagnetic brake. I have all of the dimensions and reluctances. I also have an estimated current and Number of spires that depending on the results of the question I will have to revise in order too see if they are appropriate. The final objective is for the magnetic force to be equal or larger than a known value.
Untitled.png

I guess you're assuming the core is of a high permmeability material and that the gap is small enough as to make "fringing" negligible. In such a case the ##\vec B## field lines follow the shape of the core (no field outside the core or the gap). Thus, considering##\oint{\vec B \cdot d\vec S}=0## we get ##B_1S_1=B_2S_2## (I skipped several intermediate steps)

Likes J Silva
Gordianus said:
I guess you're assuming the core is of a high permmeability material and that the gap is small enough as to make "fringing" negligible. In such a case the ##\vec B## field lines follow the shape of the core (no field outside the core or the gap). Thus, considering##\oint{\vec B \cdot d\vec S}=0## we get ##B_1S_1=B_2S_2## (I skipped several intermediate steps)
Could I then assume that Bsat (saturation flux density) is the value of flux density that is applied to the smallest cross section (S) ?

Your drawing shows an axisymmetric core (is that O.K.?) but without dimensions. Anyway, I suppose the smallest cross section is around the central "hole". That section shouldn't reach the saturation point of 2. 13 T.

Gordianus said:
Your drawing shows an axisymmetric core (is that O.K.?) but without dimensions. Anyway, I suppose the smallest cross section is around the central "hole". That section shouldn't reach the saturation point of 2. 13 T.
The core is a cylinder (9) with a coil runing through it (8). The sallest section are would be the one I painted red and with the arrow in the picture bellow.
I was thinking of considering B a percentage o Bsat, such as B = 70% Bsat
coil.png

The force you get goes as the square of B. Thus, working at 70% of Bsat you'll get half the maximum one.

1. What is magnetic flux density B?

Magnetic flux density B, also known as magnetic induction or magnetic field strength, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field. It is represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

2. Is the magnetic flux density B constant in all materials?

No, the magnetic flux density B is not constant in all materials. It depends on the magnetic properties of the material, such as its permeability and susceptibility. In materials with high permeability, the magnetic flux density B is higher, while in materials with low permeability, the B is lower.

3. How is the magnetic flux density B related to the magnetic field?

The magnetic flux density B and the magnetic field are closely related. The B is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point, while the magnetic field is a vector quantity that describes the direction and strength of the magnetic force at a point in space.

4. Can the magnetic flux density B be changed?

Yes, the magnetic flux density B can be changed. It can be altered by changing the strength of the magnetic field or by changing the material in which the magnetic field is present. It can also be changed by changing the direction of the magnetic field.

5. Why is it important to know if the magnetic flux density B is constant?

It is important to know if the magnetic flux density B is constant because it affects the behavior of magnetic materials and their interaction with other materials. It also plays a crucial role in many technological applications, such as electric motors, generators, and magnetic storage devices.