Register to reply

Using kepler's laws to find mass of planet

by jhson114
Tags: kepler, laws, mass, planet
Share this thread:
jhson114
May22-05, 02:26 PM
P: 82
There's a planet with a moon that orbits the plant in 30 days and moves at a distance of 370million meters from the center of the planet. i need to find the mass of the planet and i've used the following equation that was derived from the keplers laws: P = 2pi(a^(3/2))/(GM)^(1/2). P is the time it takes to or it and A is the average distnace from the planet. I've tried using P in days and years, and a in meters and AU. But i cant seem to arrive at a correct answer. maybe my equation is wrong? thanks in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
SpaceTiger
May22-05, 02:43 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,977
Quote Quote by jhson114
There's a planet with a moon that orbits the plant in 30 days and moves at a distance of 370million meters from the center of the planet. i need to find the mass of the planet and i've used the following equation that was derived from the keplers laws: P = 2pi(a^(3/2))/(GM)^(1/2). P is the time it takes to or it and A is the average distnace from the planet. I've tried using P in days and years, and a in meters and AU. But i cant seem to arrive at a correct answer. maybe my equation is wrong? thanks in advance.
If P is in years, M is in solar masses, and a is in AU, it's simply:

[tex]P^2=\frac{a^3}{M_p}[/tex]

For your version of the equation, you should use some other consistent set of units (like meters, kilograms, and seconds; or centimeters, grams, and seconds).
OlderDan
May22-05, 02:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,033
Quote Quote by jhson114
Your equation looks right. Do you know the mass of the moon? The mass in this equation is really the reduced mass of the planet moon combination.

If the orbit is elliptical, a is the semimajor axis of the ellipse. Since you are only given one distance from the planet, I assume you are supposed to be treating the obit as circular with a = 370million meters.

Edt
If reduced mass is relevant, then the distance would be to the center of mass, not to the other object, so this was not a helpful idea. I see you got it worked out now with a simpler calculation.

tony873004
May22-05, 03:04 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,542
Using kepler's laws to find mass of planet

If you can assume the orbit is circular, and the planet's mass >> moon's mass, you could also re-write the formula for circular velocity:

velocity = sqrt(Gravitational Constant * Mass / radius)

into

M = v^2 r / G

G = gravitational constant = 6.673e-11
compute your velocity from your radius and your period (in seconds).
jhson114
May22-05, 03:06 PM
i dont know the mass of the moon and we are to assume that its a circular orbit. the equation P^2 = a^3/M doesnt seem right because i get a 2.24e-6 as mass. with my previous equation is it right to AU and Years for A and P and M is KG?
tony873004
May22-05, 03:21 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,542
You got the right answer except for one thing. That way gives solar masses and not kilograms. The Sun is 1.98911e30 kg.

The method I gave you wants meters, seconds, and gives kilograms.

Try it both ways to see if you get approximately the same answer. You should.
SpaceTiger
May22-05, 03:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by jhson114
i dont know the mass of the moon and we are to assume that its a circular orbit. the equation P^2 = a^3/M doesnt seem right because i get a 2.24e-6 as mass.
That's about the mass of the earth in solar masses, so if you plug that in with the distance in AU, you'll get your period in years. If you use your equation, you need to put in, for example, the distance in meters and the mass in kilograms, you'll get out the period in seconds.
SpaceTiger
May22-05, 03:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Sounds like you might need to brush up on your unit conversion.
jhson114
May22-05, 03:27 PM
okay. i got it. i had all the units messed up. thanks guys :)

Register to reply