Satellite Motion Homework: Find 2nd Satellite Speed

In summary, the problem involves two satellites in circular orbits around an unknown planet. The first satellite has a speed of 1.70 × 104 m/s and a radius of 5.25 × 106 m, while the second satellite has a radius of 8.60 × 106 m. Using Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion and the equation v = sqrt (GM / r), the mass of the planet is calculated to be 2.274 x 1025 kg. However, the answer key shows the second satellite's speed to be 1.3 x 10-7, which is most likely a typo due to a small difference in the orbit radii.
ThePiGeek314

Homework Statement

A satellite is in a circular orbit around an unknown planet. The satellite has a speed of 1.70 × 104 m/s, and the radius of the orbit is 5.25 × 106 m. A second satellite also has a circular orbit around this same planet. The orbit of this second satellite has a radius of 8.60 × 106 m. What is the speed of the second satellite?

Homework Equations

Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion -- T2/r3 = 4pi2 / GM

v = sqrt (GM / r)

The Attempt at a Solution

There really isn't much conceptual work involved in this, so I might just be making an arithmetic mistake somewhere. But I've worked the problem out three times and gotten the same (wrong) answer every time...

I used the v = sqrt (GM / r) -- plugged the values in for the first satellite and solved for the planet's mass which must be 2.274 x 1025 kg.

Then I used that mass value for M in the same equation, switching out the radius value for the second satellite. I get that v = 1.3 x 104.

But the answer is 1.3 x 10-7.

Why is my answer so far off? Is the problem with the planet mass value or just in the calculations for the second satellite's speed? I think my process is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
ThePiGeek314 said:
But the answer is 1.3 x 10-7.
This is clearly a typo in the answer key. There's no way orbital speed just barely higher would be 11 orders of magnitude lower.
The numerical factor of 1.3 matches, so you're good there, and by eyeballing the distances involved the order of magnitude should be the same for both satellites - i.e. 10E4.

Thanks! I did wonder about the small difference in the orbit radii, but wasn't sure if I was missing something.

1. What is the formula for calculating satellite speed?

The formula for calculating satellite speed is v = √(GM/r), where v is the speed in meters per second, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object being orbited, and r is the distance between the satellite and the object's center of mass.

2. How do I find the value for G in the satellite speed formula?

The value for G is a constant and can be found in scientific reference books or online. It is typically represented as 6.67 x 10^-11 N·m^2/kg^2.

3. Can I use any unit of measurement for distance in the satellite speed formula?

No, the unit of measurement for distance must be in meters in order for the formula to work correctly. If the distance is given in kilometers, it must be converted to meters by multiplying by 1000.

4. How does the mass of the object being orbited affect satellite speed?

The mass of the object being orbited directly affects the speed of the satellite. If the mass of the object increases, the speed of the satellite will decrease. This is because the gravitational force between the two objects is directly proportional to their masses.

5. Can I use the satellite speed formula for any type of satellite?

The satellite speed formula can be used for any type of satellite as long as the satellite is in circular orbit around the object. If the satellite is in elliptical orbit, the formula will need to be modified to take into account the varying distance between the satellite and the object.