Tags: cancer
Share this thread:
Ivan Seeking
May31-05, 02:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,498
I had a thingy removed a few weeks ago. I had assumed that it was just some benign growth, maybe a little fatty tumor, but the look on the doctor's face had me a bit worried; and the silence bothered me even more. Then of course I had to wait for weeks to find out. The frustrating part is that I wasn't really concerned until after I saw the doctor. And the close proximity to the lymph glands didn't help to ease my mind much either.

Just got the call. Whewwwww!

So, do we have any other medical scare stories?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Evo
May31-05, 03:03 PM
Mentor
P: 26,488
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking
I had a thingy removed a few weeks ago. I had assumed that it was just some benign growth, maybe a little fatty tumor, but the look on the doctor's face had me a bit worried; and the silence bothered me even more. Then of course I had to wait for weeks to find out. The frustrating part is that I wasn't really concerned until after I saw the doctor. And the close proximity to the lymph glands didn't help to ease my mind much either.

Just got the call. Whewwwww!
That's wonderful news!!!! Doctors really need to watch what they do and say. It's just wonderful when they frown and say "that's not good" and then leave the room.
zoobyshoe
May31-05, 03:10 PM
P: 5,625
That is good news! I'm glad it turned out to be nothing.

I've had one or two scares, but they weren't doctor-induced, just my own imagination running wild before I got to the doctor.

hypatia
May31-05, 04:37 PM
P: 1,298
Yay! No cancer.

I hate the wait! Glad you got the all clear!
Janus
May31-05, 05:00 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,361
Five years ago I had a kidney removed due to cancer. At the same time the tumor was discovered they also found a growth on my left femur just below the hip. As far as they could tell it was benign so they just left it alone as it wasn't causing me any problem.

A couple of months back I went in for my check up, and instead of just the regular chest X-ray, the doctor decided to order up a CT scan. A short time after I got the scan, I get a calll from the Doctor's office saying that they want me to get an X-ray done of my left hip for comparison to the last X-ray I had done of it 5 years previously. They also wanted me to make a follow up appointment with my Doctor afterwards. I was this last part that got me. Generally, they would wait until after they got the X-rays back before they decided whether I needed a follow up appointment. This lead me to think that they had seen something in the CT scan which lead them to believe that the growth on my femur had changed.

A few days after getting the X-ray done, I got a call saying the the X-ray was negative and there had been no change in the growth over the last five years. I also would not need to keep my follow up appointment, just my regularly scheduled checkup in July.
Ivan Seeking
May31-05, 05:07 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Janus
A few days after getting the X-ray done, I got a call saying the the X-ray was negative and there had been no change in the growth over the last five years. I also would not need to keep my follow up appointment, just my regularly scheduled checkup in July.
I think the medical establishment needs to address this issue. People are mentally tortured by this sort of thing, and the system seems oblivious to this fact. Yours is unfortunately a great example of this. After all, we're not just talking about bad news, we're talking about life changing, or even life ending news.
Evo
May31-05, 05:09 PM
Mentor
P: 26,488
Quote Quote by Janus
Five years ago I had a kidney removed due to cancer. At the same time the tumor was discovered they also found a growth on my left femur just below the hip. As far as they could tell it was benign so they just left it alone as it wasn't causing me any problem.

A couple of months back I went in for my check up, and instead of just the regular chest X-ray, the doctor decided to order up a CT scan. A short time after I got the scan, I get a calll from the Doctor's office saying that they want me to get an X-ray done of my left hip for comparison to the last X-ray I had done of it 5 years previously. They also wanted me to make a follow up appointment with my Doctor afterwards. I was this last part that got me. Generally, they would wait until after they got the X-rays back before they decided whether I needed a follow up appointment. This lead me to think that they had seen something in the CT scan which lead them to believe that the growth on my femur had changed.

What are these people thinking? Do they really not realize the amount of unnecessary anxiety they are putting people through? Glad to hear it turned out ok.
Astronuc
May31-05, 07:06 PM
Admin
P: 21,828
Good news, Ivan!

No scare stories that I can recall at the moment. We did have an issue with a neurologist who treated my daughter. He could never give us a diagnosis, and therefore could not specify a prognosis. He seemed satisfied just to have us visit him periodically. We quit him for an alternative.

Actually my daughter did scare us one time with a significant seizure. The cause most likely was Welbutrin, which she took for ADD, and hypoglycemia in conjunction with another medication, which alludes me for the moment. I was on a trip when this happened, and got a call while my daughter was being treated. Needless to say, we took her off Welbutrin and started her on a monitoring program with a neurologist (not the one mentioned above).
Kerrie
May31-05, 08:36 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 1,192
Ivan, Janus, glad to hear all was okay with you.

Tomorrow I see a cardiologists for my heart murmur. Since my heart is pumping for two right now, I have been getting dizzy spells and my heart pounds even when I rest. The heart murmur has been with me for several years, and was never an issue during my other pregnancies, but this one it seems to be (maybe because I am over 30 now!) I don't know much about heart murmurs, but I certainly don't like the feeling of sitting down and my heart bounding. The dizziness isn't fun either.
Moonbear
May31-05, 08:48 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,271
On this topic, has anyone seen Singleton around recently? He was going in for some tests and I haven't seen or heard anything from him since then. I'm worried it might have been bad news.
Danger
May31-05, 08:51 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
I'm glad that it turned out to be nothing. Good thing that it wasn't on your digging foot; that really would have been something to worry about.
No scares from doctors, but when I had two ribs detached in a mishap I cabbed it in to the emergency room because I thought that I might have torn the pericardial sac or something. Hurt like hell and I could barely breathe. No worries once I found out what it was, but it still hurt.
Ivan Seeking
Jun1-05, 02:09 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Kerrie

Tomorrow I see a cardiologists for my heart murmur. Since my heart is pumping for two right now, I have been getting dizzy spells and my heart pounds even when I rest. The heart murmur has been with me for several years, and was never an issue during my other pregnancies, but this one it seems to be (maybe because I am over 30 now!) I don't know much about heart murmurs, but I certainly don't like the feeling of sitting down and my heart bounding. The dizziness isn't fun either.
I hope it doesn't get too bad. Does it get bad enough that you might fall or pass out?
Moonbear
Jun1-05, 03:04 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Kerrie

A murmur itself shouldn't make your heart beat rapidly, though it might just make every heartbeat felt even if it's not any faster than usual. If they haven't done so already, they should also check to rule out things like gestational diabetes and thyroid dysfunctions, both of which are somewhat common during pregnancy.
Math Is Hard
Jun1-05, 03:30 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,923
Live long and prosper, Ivan. I expect you'll live to the ripe old age of 112. Did you ever see that episode of the Simpsons where Montgomery Burns was diagnosed with everything but all of his ailments were just cancelling each other out? I think that will be the case with you when you reach the twilight years. You'll outlive us all!

Janus, gosh, I am happy to hear all is well after all the stuff you went through! Good gracious!

Kerrie, I have a heart murmur also but didn't even know about it until a few years ago. It doen't seem to give me any problems. It was a big surprise to me to even find out about it. So, when's that baby coming? It must be soon.
You must be very excited.

Moonbear, I would also like very much to hear from Singleton. I sure hope he is doing OK. Do you think anyone has sent him a PM?
Phobos
Jun1-05, 09:57 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,020
Next time you see the doctor say "oh, it's you" in a disappointed voice. When he/she asks what's wrong, say you'll let them know at the next appointment.

Glad everyone is still kicking.
singleton
Jun1-05, 11:45 AM
P: 117
Quote Quote by Moonbear
On this topic, has anyone seen Singleton around recently? He was going in for some tests and I haven't seen or heard anything from him since then. I'm worried it might have been bad news.
Hey!

Thanks for caring :D I figured I wouldn't start a new thread on it or anything.

Turns out it isn't cancer. The bad news? I am balding

I'm now on Propecia
Moonbear
Jun1-05, 12:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by singleton
Hey!

Thanks for caring :D I figured I wouldn't start a new thread on it or anything.

Turns out it isn't cancer.
Woo hoo!!!! I'll bet you're very relieved!

The bad news? I am balding

I'm now on Propecia
Balding is a sign of virility, isn't it? Then again, putting it all in perspective of going in worrying you might have cancer, balding isn't such a bad diagnosis to come away with.
Integral
Jun1-05, 12:42 PM
Mentor
P: 7,315
Ivan,
Good hear that everything came out ok.

Sorry for not keeping in touch. Perhaps we can get together this weekend?

Register to reply