Cracked sternum: Should I be concerned?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Anthony A
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker was in a car accident that caused a cracked sternum. The hospital initially thought it was only bruising, but an xray later revealed the crack. The speaker experiences a popping sound when twisting or turning, and it has been happening for two and a half years. They also have shortness of breath which they attribute to the sternum injury. They are unsure if this requires medical attention or if it is something they just have to deal with. They are also concerned about potential long term consequences such as lung blebs. The responder suggests seeing a doctor for a proper diagnosis.
Anthony A
A while ago I got into a pretty bad car accident that cracked my sternum slightly. When I went to the hospital that day, they speculated it was merely bruising. An xray a few months later revealed a cracked sternum. Pain was never evident or overwhelming with the exception of pressure being applied, just an incessant popping sound when twisting or turning. Often times when around friends and silence manifests, I twist, which in turn produces a loud, distinct popping sounds whereby everyone comments on it. This has consisted for two and a half years now. I had suspected that it would of healed by now, but it looks like its here to stay. Lately, I've been experiencing a benign shortness of breath that I attribute to the sternum trauma. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Do you think this requires medical attention or is something one just puts up with? Any potential long term consequences such as lung blebs?

Biology news on Phys.org
Sorry but we don't do medical diagnosis here. Go and see you doctor.

Related to Cracked sternum: Should I be concerned?

1. What causes a popping/cracked sternum?

There are several possible causes for a popping or cracking sensation in the sternum. It could be due to joint inflammation, muscle tension, or even air bubbles in the joint fluid. In some cases, it may be a normal occurrence and nothing to be concerned about.

2. Is a popping/cracked sternum a serious medical issue?

In most cases, a popping or cracked sternum is not a serious medical issue. However, if you are experiencing pain or discomfort along with the popping, it is important to consult with a doctor to rule out any underlying conditions.

3. Can certain activities or movements cause a popping/cracked sternum?

Yes, certain activities or movements that put strain on the sternum, such as lifting heavy objects or twisting the upper body, can cause a popping or cracking sensation. It is important to listen to your body and avoid any activities that consistently cause discomfort.

4. How can I prevent a popping/cracked sternum from happening?

To prevent a popping or cracked sternum, it is important to maintain good posture and avoid any activities that strain the chest and upper body. Strengthening the muscles in the chest and upper back can also help to stabilize the sternum and prevent it from popping or cracking.

5. When should I seek medical attention for a popping/cracked sternum?

If you are experiencing persistent pain or discomfort along with the popping or cracking sensation in your sternum, it is important to seek medical attention. This could be a sign of an underlying condition, such as arthritis or a rib injury, that requires treatment.