Electric field symbol

by El Hombre Invisible
Tags: electric, field, symbol
El Hombre Invisible
Jun25-05, 10:38 AM
P: 1,017
Yo! Anyone know of any free font compatible with Word (or that comes with Word!) that has the goddam electric field symbol in it? Whoever came up with that sign had an irrational hatred of word processors.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Nylex
Jun25-05, 10:44 AM
P: 554
What do you mean by "electric field symbol"? I always thought electric field (strength) was represented by "E".
El Hombre Invisible
Jun25-05, 11:46 AM
It's like an E, but it's squiggly. It's not electric field strength, it's the vector I'm after. Anyone else?

Crosson
Jun25-05, 12:44 PM
P: 1,294

Electric field symbol

Do you mean epsilon? It's a greek letter.

[tex] \epsilon [/tex]

In American textbooks I often see E as the electric field and epsilon as the energy density.
El Hombre Invisible
Jun25-05, 02:44 PM
Quote Quote by Crosson
Do you mean epsilon? It's a greek letter.

[tex] \epsilon [/tex]

In American textbooks I often see E as the electric field and epsilon as the energy density.
No, it's not in the Greek alphabet. If it were, that would be cool since loads of standard fonts have Greek characters.

'E' seems to be the most common symbol for the electric field, but we seem to use another (note to self: must find out why). It's like an E, but more elaborate and... squiggly. It's the best word for it.

So if anyone knows any alternative symbols to 'E' for the electric field, please let me know. Thanks.
whozum
Jun25-05, 05:07 PM
P: 2,223
I've only seen E, here are E's some from the Latex sheet,

[tex] \mathbb{E} \ \epsilon \ \varepsilon\ \xi [/tex]

I've also seen an E that has the same style as this N, maybe that's what you're looking for:

[tex] \aleph [/tex]
dextercioby
Jun25-05, 06:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,863
The 4-the letter is a Greek letter called "xi" ,not an "e".

Daniel.
dextercioby
Jun25-05, 06:36 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Quote Quote by El Hombre Invisible
Yo! Anyone know of any free font compatible with Word (or that comes with Word!) that has the goddam electric field symbol in it? Whoever came up with that sign had an irrational hatred of word processors.
Do you mean the "E" in the Gothic (German) alphabet ?This one

[tex] \mathfrak{E} [/tex] ?

Daniel.

P.S.Electric field strength is a vector.
Tom Mattson
Jun25-05, 06:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,540
Or how about [itex]\cal E[/itex]?
whozum
Jun25-05, 07:07 PM
Quote Quote by dextercioby
The 4-the letter is a Greek letter called "xi" ,not an "e".

Daniel.
Epsilon isnt 'E' either, they jus both look like E's
dextercioby
Jun25-05, 07:23 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Epsilon's is read "e" in any version of Greek . While "xi" is read "e",iff the reader's drunk.

Daniel.
robphy
Jun25-05, 07:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,108
Can you use the Equation Editor (not installed by default with MS Word)?
Can you attach a small scan? or name the text you are using?
inha
Jun26-05, 03:29 AM
P: 576
Quote Quote by Tom Mattson
Or how about [itex]\cal E[/itex]?
I think this is the one he's after. I've seen this used in many texts.
El Hombre Invisible
Jun26-05, 03:33 AM
Hi all. Sorry, none of the above suggestions fit the bill. The reason I couldn't show you what I meant was simply that I couldn't find a wesbite that used it on the internet either - everything uses 'E', so I'm pretty confused why we're using this mad symbol.

It looks a lot like xi, and I've been using that, but I don't think it is, since the textbook has used the xi symbol too and they're clearly different.

But anyway, I have resolved to suffer the embarrassment and attempt to draw this evil bast. Attached as a bmp file. Don't laugh.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp electric field symbol.bmp (3.7 KB, 42 views)
whozum
Jun26-05, 03:42 AM
It looks a lot like xi, and I've been using that, but I don't think it is, since the textbook has used the xi symbol too and they're clearly different.
dex

Thats the one Tom Mattson pasted, except more elaborate (I believe).
himanshu121
Jun26-05, 03:42 AM
P: 661
My physics teacher often says
"Symbols are not important what do symbol represent is important"
El Hombre Invisible
Jun26-05, 05:19 AM
Quote Quote by whozum
dex

Thats the one Tom Mattson pasted, except more elaborate (I believe).
Is that upper-case epsilon? Dammit, guess what upper-case epsilon is in Word... 'E'! Well, at least that explains the interchangeability of electric field symbols... blame the greeks I guess.

Okay, so does anyone know a font that has [itex]\cal E[/itex]? I can't find that either. I guess I could just use a lower case epsilon and up the font size...
dextercioby
Jun26-05, 06:34 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
I have "Caligraphic" fonts installed in my SWP 2.5 (dating 1995).I'm sure they're installed in Miktex and other Windows base Tex editors.You can copy paste it as an image into a Word document,if the stupid MS program doesn't have "Caligraphic" fonts.

Daniel.

Register to reply