Find the electric field of a charged arc a distance R away

In summary: I honestly have no idea Setting up an integral for ##E_y## should be very similar.Can you show the integral that you would evaluate to obtain...I honestly have no idea.
Jaccobtw
Homework Statement
find electric field of a quarter circle charged arc at point located the same distance from all points on the arc
Relevant Equations
$$dQ = \lambda R d \theta$$
$$dE_x = \frac{k_e dQ}{R^2} cos \theta$$
define charge at an infinitesimal length of arc

$$dQ = \lambda R d \theta$$We only care about the x component of the electric field because the y components cancel due to symmetry

$$dE_x = \frac{k_e dQ}{R^2} cos \theta$$

Integrate to add up the infinitesimal parts. A quarter circle means 90 degrees so integrate from 0 to pi/2.$$\int dE_x=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{k_e \lambda R d \theta}{R^2} cos \theta$$

PROBLEM: I get two different answers when I integrate from 0 to pi/2 and -pi/4 to pi/4. The right answer came from when I used -pi/4 to pi/4.

Doe anyone know why you can't integrate from 0 to pi/2?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Jaccobtw said:
PROBLEM: I get two different answers when I integrate from 0 to pi/2 and -pi/4 to pi/4. The right answer came from when I used -pi/4 to pi/4.

Doe anyone know why you can't integrate from 0 to pi/2?

Thanks
If the quarter circle goes from ##\theta = 0## to ##\theta = \pi/2##, would there be a net y-component of the electric field as well as a net x-component of the field at the point where you are calculating the field? I'm assuming ##\theta = 0## corresponds to the positive x-axis.

Last edited:
Likes Jaccobtw
TSny said:
If the quarter circle subtends the angle between ##\theta = 0## amd ##

If the quarter circle goes from ##\theta = 0## to ##\theta = \pi/2##, would there be a net y-component of the electric field as well as a net x-component of the field at the point where you are calculating the field? I'm assuming ##\theta = 0## corresponds to the positive x-axis.
I think this makes sense. Do you mind explaining why I also get the right answer if i integrate from 0 to pi/4 twice?

Jaccobtw said:
Do you mind explaining why I also get the right answer if i integrate from 0 to pi/4 twice?
Can you see why integrating from ##-\pi/4## to ##0## contributes the same amount to ##E_x## as integrating from ##0## to ##\pi/4##?

TSny said:
Can you see why integrating from ##-\pi/4## to ##0## contributes the same amount to ##E_x## as integrating from ##0## to ##\pi/4##?
Never mind. I think I get it. How could you set up the integral if you wanted to use pi/2 to 0

Jaccobtw said:
How could you set up the integral if you wanted to use pi/2 to 0
If the quarter circle extends from the x-axis to the y-axis, so that ##\theta## varies from ##0## to ##\pi/2##, then the integral that you set up will give you ##E_x## when integrated from ##\theta = 0## to ##\theta = \pi/2##. (But think about the sign of ##E_x##.)

How would you set up the integral to get ##E_y## for this case? How would you combine ##E_x## and ##E_y## to get the total electric field?

Why didn't you need to worry about ##E_y## when you integrated from ##-\pi/4## to ##\pi/4##?

TSny said:
Why didn't you need to worry about ##E_y## when you integrated from ##-\pi/4## to ##\pi/4##?
Because the y components cancel. I'm confused about how I'd set it up for 0 to pi/2 though to get the magnitude of the electric field. I thought it would be ##cos^2 \theta + sin^2 \theta## but and I got an answer that's kinda close but still off. Any ideas?

Jaccobtw said:
Because the y components cancel.
Yes, for the case of ##-\pi/4## to ##\pi/4##, the net y component is zero

Jaccobtw said:
I'm confused about how I'd set it up for 0 to pi/2 though to get the magnitude of the electric field. I thought it would be ##cos^2 \theta + sin^2 \theta## but and I got an answer that's kinda close but still off. Any ideas?
1647355240508.png

For this case, what do you get when you evaluate the integral for ##E_x##? Similarly, what do you get for ##E_y##?

Neither of these components will have ##\theta## in the answer. (##\theta## was the integration variable and the integrals have been done.) So, when you combine ##E_x## and ##E_y## to get the magnitude of the total electric field vector, ##\cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta## will not come into play.

TSny said:
Yes, for the case of ##-\pi/4## to ##\pi/4##, the net y component is zeroView attachment 298399
For this case, what do you get when you evaluate the integral for ##E_x##? Similarly, what do you get for ##E_y##?

Neither of these components will have ##\theta## in the answer. (##\theta## was the integration variable and the integrals have been done.) So, when you combine ##E_x## and ##E_y## to get the magnitude of the total electric field vector, ##\cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta## will not come into play.
I honestly have no idea

You said in your first post that you worked out ##E_x## for the case where ##\theta## ranges from ##0## to ##\pi/2##. But you didn't state what you got for the answer for ##E_x##. What did you get?

Setting up an integral for ##E_y## should be very similar. Can you show the integral that you would evaluate to obtain ##E_y##?

Alternately, using symmetry you should be able to see how ##E_y## compares to ##E_x## without actually carrying out the integration for ##E_y##.

Last edited:

1. What is an electric arc and how is it charged?

An electric arc is a discharge of electricity that occurs between two electrodes. It is created when a high voltage is applied to a gas, causing the gas to become ionized and form a conductive path between the electrodes. This creates a flow of electric current.

2. How is the electric field of a charged arc calculated?

The electric field of a charged arc can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field strength is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. In the case of a charged arc, the distance is measured from the center of the arc to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field of a charged arc?

The strength of the electric field of a charged arc is affected by the magnitude of the charge on the electrodes, the distance between the electrodes, and the properties of the gas or medium in which the arc is occurring. The electric field strength also varies along the arc, with the strongest field being at the point closest to the electrodes.

4. How does the distance from the arc affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field of a charged arc decreases as the distance from the arc increases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning that the strength decreases rapidly as the distance increases. Therefore, the electric field will be strongest at points closest to the arc and will decrease as the distance increases.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the electric field of a charged arc?

Understanding the electric field of a charged arc is important in many practical applications, such as in the design and operation of electrical equipment, lightning protection systems, and plasma technologies. It is also relevant in the study of atmospheric phenomena, such as lightning strikes and auroras. Additionally, understanding the electric field of a charged arc can help prevent accidents and ensure the safety of workers in industries that use high voltage equipment.