Auxiliary Equation with Imaginary Roots

by cronxeh
Tags: auxiliary, equation, imaginary, roots
Share this thread:
cronxeh
Jun27-05, 07:12 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
I was curious about what class would cover those types of Linear DE w Constant Coeff, particularly Hyperbolic Functions and exp z type of things. I remember my lecturer said back in Intro DE that we only covered first 2 types of Auxiliary Equations - real distinct roots and real repeated ones, but not the imaginary roots because they are 'out of the scope of this course'
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Pyrrhus
Jun27-05, 07:32 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,277
On any Differential Equations course, or ODE course.
Zurtex
Jun27-05, 07:34 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,123
It's almost exactly the same, but some times you use the different form by the identity:

[tex]e^{x + iy} \equiv e^x \left( \sin y + i \cos y \right)[/tex]

saltydog
Jun27-05, 07:46 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,593
Auxiliary Equation with Imaginary Roots

Cronxeh, when you have imaginary roots to an equation, then the solution is of the form:

[tex]y(x)=c_1e^{(a+bi)x}+c_2e^{(a-bi)x}[/tex]

(and other more complex expressions for repeated complex roots)

You can convert this using Euler's equation:

[tex]e^{(a+bi)x}=e^{ax}\left(Cos(bx)+iSin(bx)\right)[/tex]

to an expression containing exp's, sin's and cos's. Still have the i though. Can you separate the converted expression into a real part and imaginary part like:

[tex]y(x)=r(x)+iv(x)[/tex]

If you do, you'll get something like:

[tex]i(c_1-c_2)[/tex]

as a coefficient on the imaginary part. But that's a constant, call it [itex]k_2[/itex]. Now the solution is:

[tex]y(x)=k_1r(x)+k_2v(x)[/tex]

See how that works?
cronxeh
Jun27-05, 09:24 PM
PF Gold
Ah thanks. I didnt have time before but now that I'm home I did some digging and found those functions covered in this course:
http://www.wellesley.edu/Math/Math20...work/hwk6.html

I'm taking Complex Variables in Fall, guess we'll be covering those then
HallsofIvy
Jun28-05, 09:41 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,683
" I remember my lecturer said back in Intro DE that we only covered first 2 types of Auxiliary Equations - real distinct roots and real repeated ones, but not the imaginary roots because they are 'out of the scope of this course' "

That's a pretty weak D.E. course- even for "Intro". I would hope that your school also has a higher level D.E. course.
cronxeh
Jun28-05, 10:28 AM
PF Gold
we cover imaginary roots but not from cauchy-euler equations, and this course is only 2 credits and lasts half a semester anyway
Zurtex
Jun28-05, 04:13 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,123
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy
" I remember my lecturer said back in Intro DE that we only covered first 2 types of Auxiliary Equations - real distinct roots and real repeated ones, but not the imaginary roots because they are 'out of the scope of this course' "

That's a pretty weak D.E. course- even for "Intro". I would hope that your school also has a higher level D.E. course.
We covered exactly the same in Calc A at University. Excpet is was all done in 30 miniuites and our Tutor is so slow at ocvering stuff it missed out loads. I'm so glad I did Further Maths at A Level.

Register to reply