Solving Schrodinger's Equation with a weak Imaginary Potential

In summary, the particle's wavefunction is approximate to leading non-vanishing order in the small quantity \frac{V}{E} << 1. The probability current density is given by the equation \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\psi'' -iV\psi = E\psi.
AspiringResearcher

Homework Statement

A particle of energy [itex]E[/itex] moves in one dimension in a constant imaginary potential [itex]-iV[/itex] where [itex]V << E[/itex].

a) Find the particle's wavefunction [itex]\Psi(x,t)[/itex] approximating to leading non-vanishing order in the small quantity [itex]\frac{V}{E} << 1[/itex].

b) Calculate the probability current density of the wavefunction you just calculated, and interpret your result briefly: what is the effect of the small imaginary potential?

Homework Equations

[tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\psi'' -iV\psi = E\psi \text{ (time-independent schrodinger equation for energy E)}[/tex]
[tex]j = Re(\bar{\Psi}\frac{\hbar}{im}\frac{d\Psi}{dx})\text{ (probability current density)}[/tex]

First order approximations for [itex]x << 1[/itex]:
  • [itex]\sin(x) \approx 1[/itex]
  • [itex]\cos(x) \approx 1 - \frac{x^2}{2}[/itex]
  • [itex]e^x \approx 1 + x[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this problem in a few different ways and it was never obvious to me how the Taylor approximation would work out.

Since the particle is traveling with a definite energy E, the use of the time-independent Schrodinger equation is justified. The time dependence is easy to calculate.

The first approach I used was to solve the time-independent Schrodinger equation with the standard method for second-order homogeneous linear differential equations with constant coefficients. I modified this approach by assuming that the coefficient [itex]r[/itex] in [itex]\psi = e^{rx}[/itex] would be complex, setting [itex]r = a + bi[/itex] for simplicity.

Assume [itex]\psi(x) = e^{(a+bi)x}[/itex].

The characteristic equation is then
[tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(a+bi)^2 = E + iV[/tex]
which leads to the equations
[tex]a^2 -b^2 = \frac{-2mE}{\hbar^2} \text{ for the real part}[/tex]
[tex]2abi = -\frac{2miV}{\hbar^2} \text{ for the imaginary part}[/tex]
Therefore, [tex]ab = -\frac{mV}{\hbar^2} \implies b = -\frac{mV}{a\hbar^2}[/tex]
[tex] \implies a^2 - b^2 = a^2 - \frac{m^2V^2}{a^2\hbar^4} = -\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}[/tex]
[tex] \implies a^4 + \frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}a^2 - \frac{m^2V^2}{\hbar^4} = 0 [/tex]
Using the quadratic formula,
[tex]a^2 = \frac{-\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\pm \sqrt{\frac{4m^2E^2}{\hbar^4}+\frac{4m^2V^2}{\hbar^4}}}{2}[/tex]
Since [itex]a[/itex] must be a real number, the solution with the subtraction will not work, so we have
[tex]a^2 = -\frac{mE}{\hbar^2} + \frac{m}{\hbar^2}\sqrt{E^2+V^2} = \frac{m}{\hbar^2}(\sqrt{E^2+V^2}-E)[/tex]
Now, taking the square root, I assume that [itex]a[/itex] will be negative or else [itex]\psi[/itex] will be non-normalizable and will blow up, so we have
[tex]a = -\frac{\sqrt{m}}{\hbar}\sqrt{\sqrt{E^2+V^2}-E}[/tex]
Substituting this value for [itex]a[/itex] into the formula for [itex]b[/itex], we obtain
[tex]b = \frac{\sqrt{m}V}{\hbar\sqrt{\sqrt{E^2+V^2}-E}}[/tex]

I do not know how to proceed from here on out. Clearly the [itex]\frac{\sqrt{m}}{\hbar}[/itex] term can be factored out in the exponential, but I cannot see how Taylor approximation for [itex]e^{(a+bi)x}[/itex] would lead to vanishing terms.

In my other attempt, I tried a solution [itex]\psi(x) = f(x)\phi(x)[/itex] for some function [itex]f(x)[/itex], where [itex]\phi[/itex] is just the wavefunction for a free particle with definite energy E. However, this was not enlightening.

EDIT: I posted this in the "Advanced Physics Homework" section because I did not feel it was appropriate for the introductory homework section. This is from an upper-division undergraduate QM class.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might have neglected some higher order terms already by using the time-independent Schroedinger equation. You can neglect more to simplify the expression for a and b.

What is ##\sqrt{E^2+V^2}## approximately for V<<E?

1. What is Schrodinger's Equation?

Schrodinger's Equation is a mathematical equation that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes with time.

2. What is an Imaginary Potential?

An Imaginary Potential is a mathematical construct used in Schrodinger's Equation to describe non-physical forces or interactions in a system. It is represented by a complex number, with a real part and an imaginary part.

3. How does a weak Imaginary Potential affect Schrodinger's Equation?

A weak Imaginary Potential has a small impact on the overall behavior of the system, and can be approximated as a perturbation in the equation. It can lead to small changes in the energy levels and wavefunctions of the system.

4. What methods are used to solve Schrodinger's Equation with a weak Imaginary Potential?

There are various methods used to solve Schrodinger's Equation with a weak Imaginary Potential, including perturbation theory, variational methods, and numerical techniques such as the finite difference or finite element methods.

5. What are the applications of solving Schrodinger's Equation with a weak Imaginary Potential?

Solving Schrodinger's Equation with a weak Imaginary Potential has practical applications in various fields, including quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and materials science. It can provide insights into the behavior of complex systems and help in the design of new materials and technologies.