General formulae for the roots of a cubic equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general formulae for the roots of a cubic equation and provides a method using Vieta's substitution. The resulting equation in w can have multiple solutions, including real and complex roots. The conversation also poses questions on how to find all the distinct roots and addresses the possibility of having too many roots.
Gabriel Maia
Hi everyone. I'm sorry for the long thread. If you don't want to read all the introductory stuff I will mark the part towards the end where my questions are located. I'm trying to find the general formulae for the roots of the equation

$$ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0$$

By using some changes of variable (which does not really matter now) I was able to rewrite this equation as

$$z^3 - \frac{\Delta_{_{0}}}{3a^2}z+\frac{\Delta_{_{1}}}{27a^3} = 0$$

I used then the Vieta's substitution

$$z = w + \frac{\Delta_{_{0}}}{9a^2w}$$

to obtain the following:

$$(w^3)^2 + \frac{\Delta_{_{1}}}{27a^3}w^3 + \frac{\Delta_{_{0}}^{3}}{729a^6} = 0$$

This is a quadratic equation on [itex]w^3[/itex] with roots:

$$ w^3 = -\frac{1}{27a^3}\,\left(\frac{\Delta_{_{1}} \mp \sqrt{\Delta_{_{1}}^{2}-4\Delta_{_{0}}^{3}}}{2}\right)$$

Now, if [itex]\Delta_{_{1}}^{2}-4\Delta_{_{0}}^{3} = 0[/itex], then [itex]w[/itex] has three possible values for each sign and all these six values are the same.

If [itex]\Delta_{_{1}}^{2}-4\Delta_{_{0}}^{3} > 0[/itex] there are three distinct values for each sign in [itex]w[/itex], making a total of six distinct roots.

Finally, if [itex]\Delta_{_{1}}^{2}-4\Delta_{_{0}}^{3} < 0[/itex] we will have, I think, three different complex roots for each sign in [itex]w[/itex], right?
[itex]{\Large AND \,\,\, NOW, \,\,\, FOR \,\,\, THE \,\,\, REAL \,\,\, QUESTIONS:}[/itex]
- In the case where [itex]\Delta_{_{1}}^{2}-4\Delta_{_{0}}^{3} > 0[/itex] there is one obvious root, but how can I find the others?

- In the case where [itex]\Delta_{_{1}}^{2}-4\Delta_{_{0}}^{3} < 0[/itex] there is, again, one obvious root, but how can I find the others? And more... how can I be sure they're all different from each other?- If there are at least two distinct roots for each possible sign of [itex]w[/itex] we have a total of four distinct values. But since each value of [itex]w[/itex] gives one value of [itex]z[/itex], because they are related by

$$z = w + \frac{\Delta_{_{0}}}{9a^2w},$$

I would have four distinct values of [itex]z[/itex] but it is the root of a cubic equation so there should be at most three distinct values. What is going on here? Thank you very much.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since the cubic has an odd power, you are going to have one real root and a pair of complex conjugate roots or three real roots. Under some conditions, the three real roots may all be identical.

For more info on the roots of a cubic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_function

SteamKing said:
Since the cubic has an odd power, you are going to have one real root and a pair of complex conjugate roots or three real roots. Under some conditions, the three real roots may all be identical.

I've read the wikipedia article but it's of no help. It mostly throw things at you but doesn't say how to obtain the distinct roots and neither does it helps with the problem of having too many roots.

SteamKing said:

This assumes all the coefficients are real.

Where you substitute z with ##w+\frac 1 w## you double the degree of the polynomial and your cubic becomes of degree 6. The equation in w can have a solution that is not shared by the original cubic in z, e.g., being of degree 6 it may have 4 real solutions plus a complex conjugate pair.

Last edited:

1. What is the general formula for finding the roots of a cubic equation?

The general formula for finding the roots of a cubic equation is (ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d) = 0. It is also known as the cubic formula and is used to solve equations with a degree of three.

2. How do you use the general formula to find the roots of a cubic equation?

To use the general formula, you need to first identify the values of a, b, c, and d from the given cubic equation. Then, substitute these values into the formula and solve for x. This will give you the three roots of the cubic equation.

3. Can the general formula be used for all cubic equations?

Yes, the general formula can be used for all cubic equations as long as they are in the form of (ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d) = 0. However, it is important to note that in some cases, the formula may give complex or imaginary roots.

4. What is the significance of the discriminant in the general formula for cubic equations?

The discriminant, represented by D, is an important part of the general formula for cubic equations. It helps determine the nature of the roots, whether they are real or complex, and also the number of distinct roots the equation has.

5. Are there any other methods to find the roots of a cubic equation besides the general formula?

Yes, there are other methods such as graphing, factoring, and using the rational root theorem that can be used to find the roots of a cubic equation. These methods may be more efficient in certain cases, but the general formula can be used for any cubic equation.