Universal Expansion

by CBJammin103
Tags: expansion, universal
CBJammin103
Jul26-05, 07:08 PM
P: 4
As far as I know it's generally accepted that the entire universe is expanding; however, I recall hearing or reading that as far as we can observe, it is expanding faster than the speed of light.

How is this possible? Assuming that it is in fact expanding faster than the speed of light, of course. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that somewhere.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Computers beat brainpower when it comes to counting stars
The changing laws that determine how dust affects the light that reaches us from the stars
ESO image: A study in scarlet
turbo
Jul26-05, 08:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Quote Quote by CBJammin103
As far as I know it's generally accepted that the entire universe is expanding; however, I recall hearing or reading that as far as we can observe, it is expanding faster than the speed of light.

How is this possible? Assuming that it is in fact expanding faster than the speed of light, of course. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that somewhere.
You will hear from conventional cosmologists that the universe can expand so fast that there is no problem with any observed expansion that is apparently faster than the speed of light. If you'd like the grand tour, just be persistent and it will be forthcoming.

My personal view of physics contains an alternate route, branching at the distance/redshift relationtionship often attributed to Hubble, but never embraced or endorsed by him. Namely, the concept that the universe must be exploding because the farther galaxies are, the more they are redshifted.

It is entirely possible that light can be redshifted by travelling long distances, interacting with transmissive media etc, etc. Hubble was open to this - more recent folks are not.
CBJammin103
Jul26-05, 08:22 PM
P: 4
You will hear from conventional cosmologists that the universe can expand so fast that there is no problem with any observed expansion that is apparently faster than the speed of light. If you'd like the grand tour, just be persistent and it will be forthcoming.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this...?

I guess I'm not too sure on how we can measure universal expansion in the first place though.

Danger
Jul26-05, 08:22 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,961

Universal Expansion

Check back a few pages to here . It should clarify things. If not, there are a few other threads kicking about that deal with the same thing.

Register to reply