Is There a Reference Point for the Expansion of the Universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of a center of expansion in the universe and how this relates to a typical balloon's expansion. It is noted that while a balloon has an axis of expansion, the universe does not. The topic of a reference point for the expansion is also brought up, with it being explained that there is no evidence for a preferred frame of reference. The conversation then concludes with a recommendation to search for more information on the topic.
Sarthak1221
I once read somewhere a long time ago (and so I am not sure if this is true, let me know if it isn't) that the universe doesn't have a center of expansion. I get it. Neither does a typical balloon. But a balloon has an axis about which it is symmetrically expanding. Obviously that is not the case with the universe. So how exactly is the expansion taking place? Is there nothing that can be taken as a reference point for the expansion?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Sarthak1221 said:
I once read somewhere a long time ago (and so I am not sure if this is true, let me know if it isn't) that the universe doesn't have a center of expansion. I get it. Neither does a typical balloon. But a balloon has an axis about which it is symmetrically expanding. Obviously that is not the case with the universe. So how exactly is the expansion taking place? Is there nothing that can be taken as a reference point for the expansion?
A reference point for the expansion would imply a preferred frame of reference and there is not only zero evidence for such, there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Expansion has been beaten to death numerous times here on PF. I suggest a forum search.

I also recommend the link in my signature.

Likes Sarthak1221
Sarthak1221 said:
But a balloon has an axis about which it is symmetrically expanding.
No, it does not. You have to disregard any embedding of the balloon into three-dimensional space and just consider it as a two-dimensional surface. Anything outside of that surface is unphysical.

Likes Sarthak1221
@Sarthak1221 I believe that you are referencing the entire volume of the balloon when you make your statement that it has an axis of rotation. What Ordruin is referencing when he says it doesn't have such an axis is the SURFACE of the balloon, which is what has to be considered if you are using the balloon analogy. Again, I suggest the link in my signature, which will explain that.

Likes Sarthak1221

1. What is a reference point for the expansion of the universe?

A reference point for the expansion of the universe is a fixed point in space that is used as a comparison to measure the expansion of the universe. This point is typically chosen based on its distance from Earth and its relative stability.

2. Why do we need a reference point for the expansion of the universe?

A reference point is necessary because the expansion of the universe is not uniform and can vary in different directions. It provides a standard for measuring the expansion and helps us understand the overall structure and evolution of the universe.

3. Is there a single reference point for the expansion of the universe?

No, there is not a single reference point for the expansion of the universe. Different reference points may be used for different measurements and observations, depending on the specific purpose and location of the observer.

4. How do scientists determine a reference point for the expansion of the universe?

Scientists use various methods to determine a reference point for the expansion of the universe. One common method is to use the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover radiation from the Big Bang. Other methods include using the positions and movements of galaxies and using the properties of the universe's large-scale structure.

5. Can the reference point for the expansion of the universe change over time?

Yes, the reference point for the expansion of the universe can change over time. This is because the expansion of the universe itself is constantly changing and evolving. However, scientists strive to use the most stable and reliable reference points available for their measurements and observations.